Range rep:Ruger SRH .44 w/blazer ammo

Peter Gun

Had a great session at my outdoor range today and thought I'd let you know my impressions of the cheapest factory .44 mag ammo I could find.
I got some CCI Blazer 240gr HP aluminum case .44 mag from natchesz (sp?) shooting supply for 11.97 per 50 rnds.
First I did some two hand single action shooting from about 15yds on bottles down the line. Got 10 out of 12 moderately fast. Fairly hot for target loads, but the Super redhawk (stock, 7.5"bbl) sucks it up no problem. I think the sights are set a little high for that distance.
Followed with one cylinder load of double action speed shooting. Not this gun's strong point, but the DA trigger has gotten a lot smoother w/dry fire practice. Hit once on the 6" paper target at 15yds, rest in about 2' group.
Here's where I was really impressed, though. I moved to 50yds (max cleared length at this range in the woods) and rested my elbow on a stump, kneeling. Shot 2.5" group w/ open sights (six rnds)! Amazed my freind w/ his .22 rifle! The best I had been able to do w/ store reloads and PMC, my only cheap options locally, was about 6-8". I usually had a few worse flyers ,too.
Also, casings (almost said "brass") ejected w/ perfect reliablity. Usually get 1 or 2 stuck w/target brass.
Some of this improvement may be due to the fact that w/ recent good weather I've been out on my mtn bike recently and am in much better shape. I have more energy and steadier hands.
Conclusion: I will shoot this ammo over anything except my favorite factory so far, Winchester Partition Gold 250gr. I'd be very confident using it for self defense. What a bahgan!
:) Next week:comparison of c-more red dot to 2x pentax scope on the .44!