Range Practice (Making you're self an efficient shooter)

M4A3

When you guys/gals go to the range, and are planing on having a serous session.

DO you...

A: Practice good quick targeting with a good quick (kill area) shot or 10. (assault/defence style)

B: Practice extreme accurate open sight or scoped shots. (getting the best group you posibly can time being not a factor)

C: A mix of both. (assault/defence style) and (getting the best group you posibly can time being not a factor)

D: I dont ever shoot sreous. I go there, buirn ammo, and then leave.

Also... Why do you practice the way you do?

Now this is how kids should learn how to shoot. :D ;) :) :p :eek:
Towny%20and%20Josh%20M4.jpg

M4 STYLE!! :D

KSFreeman

Start with focus drills from ready, move and groove, focus, positions (I hate squatting so I do it a bunch), transitions, mix in some mal drills and always end with focus drills.

Betty

For combat shooting:

- Both hands, right hand, left handed shooting.
- Stationary targets, smaller torso shaped targets with hostage targets semi-covering them, wobbling targets.
- Point shooting, retention.
- I've got plans to set up a mini obstacle course to go through to find the cardboard badguys. That should be fun!

For rifle/target:

- Shoot offhand, crouch, sitting. I can't sit prone very well. Bad back. Don't have scopes.

Shotgun:
- Trap, Misc. targets.

Hardtarget

Mostly my shooting is a mix. The combination of firearms changes every time I go to the range. I do keep things as serious as I can...it just seems like a waste of time, effort and ammo to just throw it downrange. Don't get me wrong...I enjoy myself, I just want to at least TRY to get it right. Most times I wish I had a truly focused shooting partner. It would have done a lot towards improving my shooting over the years.
Mark.

M4A3

If you have any, give me some tips.

I am going to the range tomorrow.

I want to practice 3 things.

1) 150M rapid fire. (prone) I fire 10 shots fast.

This is how I do the drill.
A) In a standing position drop to the ground as fast as I can and shoot 10 rounds (hopefully hitting a 5" kill area) as fast as I can.

2) 25-30 yard "Shoot and move" hoping hit a 3" kill box.

I will be using 30 rounds in each run I do.

3) A mix of both shoot and move then drop and shoot.
I will be using 60 rounds in each drill.

Advance "shoot and move" twards the 30 yard targets then drop to the ground and fire to rapid shots at the 150M target.

I have not yet tried this with the AimPoint just iron sights.

Anybody have any tips?

Thanks

Also I will be using the M4, no hand guns.

Preacherman

I've got a multi-stage practice drill that I try to follow as much as possible. (Of course, if I'm having too much fun shooting with friends, this sometimes proves impossible! :D )

I begin every session with a full magazine, fired deliberately, slow-fire, two-hand grip, at a bulls-eye target at 25 yards. The objective is to get the best possible group.

After the opening accuracy drill, I "warm up" with a number of close-combat drills: the Bill Drill, El Presidente, etc. I'll do two or three different drills at every range session. I'll also throw in half-a-dozen or more "draw and shoot 2 to center mass" drills, from under a concealment garment.

After this, I'll concentrate on one skill area, and work at it exclusively. For example: long-range shooting (50, 75 and 100 yards) from various positions; drawing and shooting while moving (in all directions); shooting at moving targets; shooting at moving targets while moving myself; night sight and light usage; transition between long gun and handgun; etc.

I'll conclude with another accuracy drill, as at the start of the session.

All draws are typically done from concealment, as this is how I'll be carrying my gun most of the time. I'll also try variations: drawing while seated, with my back to the target, sitting with my back to the target, while in a vehicle, etc.

Yakko77

Defence Shooting

I really gotta learn some actually self defence shooting tactics. I've got at least 8000 rounds (long since lost track :confused: ) in my Kimber Custom 1911 but it's been nothing but bulls eye shooting. If the day ever comes that I'm attacked by a stationary dot, then I'll kick some a$$. However, that seems unlikely so I either need to join a IPDA group or teach myself.

Recommendations please!!!!

M4A3

I'm not a pro pistol defence shooter but I'd try.

Shooting and moving. I saw a "S.A.S." training vidio one time.

This guy first shot standing and shooting then quickly dropped to the ground and shot then jumped to a crouch and shot. I was amazed on how fast we was.

I'd try reading some books, watching vidios, and searching on-line for tactical pistol shooting. (how to)

Being able to move and shoot well in my book is a plus. When you're on the move you're harder to hit. But being able to shoot back and hit somthing is even better yet.:)

KSFreeman

SR, I also work in some weak side shooting. I start with the weapon on the deck.

I used to practice switching sides, but it was pointed out to me at skul, rather forcefully ("you, numb***s, what are you doing?"), that most of the time that is a waste of time. Good drill to practice, helps with familiarization of the weapon. Start dry.:)

Preacherman

Yakko, you REALLY need to consider a good course! I know that it's expensive, but how much is your life worth? You'll learn far more from five days of intensive instruction than you will from the same amount spent on books and videos.

For my money, the absolute top-of-the-line courses for beginners, unsurpassed by any other instruction presently available, would be either the Defensive Handgun 1 course at Thunder Ranch or the 250 - Basic Defensive Pistol course at Gunsite. I think they're directly comparable, and either one will give you adequate mastery of the defensive handgun for daily use. More advanced training is great fun, but is "icing on the cake" - if you've got either one of these courses under your belt, you are adequately trained for most scenarios.

A further option, in addition to - but not instead of - the above courses, would be Massad Ayoob's Lethal Force Institute 1 (LFI-1) course. Mas states explicitly that this is NOT primarily a shooting course (although you'll shoot 400-500 rounds during it), but rather "lethal threat management for civilians". He covers the whole defensive environment, legal, political, social, psychological and physiological; goes into detail about what happens in an armed encounter; and provides more information than most lawyers get in their undergraduate degree courses about the legal realities of the use of lethal force in self-defence. I can't recommend it too highly. However, Mas himself recommends that his students attend another shooting school (he grades Thunder Ranch and Gunsite very highly) to get wider experience and more practice.

Get TR-1 or Gunsite 250, plus LFI-1, under your belt, and the world will seem a different place. I speak from experience! After that, by all means go on to more advanced training, if that floats your boat: but those first courses will make all the difference.