Range Etiquette: What goes, what doesn't.

RobertInIowa

I'm looking to put together written range ettiquette for a public range and am looking for input and wording as to what should be included in said document. What do you suggest?

BarryLee

One thing that has happened to me is being interrupted while in the middle of shooting. I am not referring to a range officer or safety concern, but just miscellaneous interruptions.

Once a guy was collecting his brass and started poking around my stall while I was shooting. The other time a guy stopped me to ask what type of gun I was using. Another time a guy wanted some assistance with his gun.

While I love to talk guns and assist other shooters you should not interrupt someone while they are shooting. It is like interrupting someone during their golf swing.

langenc

The big 4 rules.

Rules to prevent the situations listed above just wont be understood by those kind of people.

kilimanjaro

Paint a No Interruptions line just behind the bays, or No Brass Gathering or something, it does kind of get to be irritating when others are impolite. I would have thought an armed society was a polite society, but it still doesn't register with some folks.

No cleaning guns on site would be one rule to have, too many chances for an accident. Obey the range master at all times is the other. All muzzles kept pointed downrange at all times, no exceptions, no excuses. All shooting stops when the light goes red or the speaker sounds, no excuses, etc.

OPC

Some of my pet peeves:
  • Move reasonably (as are able) quickly to and from your target during cease-fire. It's annoying to have to wait for someone to "ooo" and "aaa" over their groups while the rest of the line waits.
  • Be aware of where your ejected brass is going. Don't be rude to your neighbor.
  • Collect or sweep your brass. It's a slip hazard to everyone.
  • No cross-lane shooting. Sure it's your buddy's target at 25yd, but you're also peppering my target at 100yd in the lane over. Besides, the range may not be designed to contain shots at severe angles.

c0nspire

Don't handle or otherwise fondle firearms when the range is cold. When people are down range or the range is otherwise cold, guns should be "hands off".

carguychris

The muzzle should ALWAYS point downrange. This includes while the gun is being taken out of and put back in the case. It also includes clearing malfunctions.

vito

Odd, but I have never encountered any of the above issues at the range I go to. Granted, it is a private gun club but its not as if the members all know each other. Probably the worst thing I have had happen is the shooter who can't believe how badly he shoots and yells out "What the f...?" about every other shot.

rtpzwms

I'm looking to put together written range ettiquette for a public range and am looking for input and wording as to what should be included in said document. What do you suggest?

Contact your insurance company I'm sure they'll have some input for you...:eek:

MTT TL

- Do not police up brass that is not yours without first asking or waiting until the owner has departed the range

- Following the four rules means keeping your weapons up and down range in your lane (or in rack/ case) even when unloaded and not in use

- No profanity or yelling other than to yell a cease fire for safety reasons

OEF-Vet

I know most of us are aware but one of the single most important things to emboss in our new shooters is
"Anyone can call a CEASE FIRE if they see something unsafe.".
Some times people hesitate and when something is observed unsafe at the gun range microseconds count.

Skans

No cleaning guns on site would be one rule to have, too many chances for an accident.

This one always bothered me a little. I have no problem with a rule prohibiting shooters from completely disassembling their firearms and performing a full cleaning on it when they are done shooting. However, with certain guns, I really need to clean them after a couple hundred rounds. I keep a can of spray cleaner, a bottle of solvent and some q-tips to clean out the chamber. Some guns get finicky (especially smaller guns and .22's) if you don't give them a quick cleaning. This should be permitted, or at least there should be a place where you can take your gun to quickly clean it.

OEF-Vet

This one always bothered me a little. I have no problem with a rule prohibiting shooters from completely disassembling their firearms and performing a full cleaning on it when they are done shooting. However, with certain guns, I really need to clean them after a couple hundred rounds. I keep a can of spray cleaner, a bottle of solvent and some q-tips to clean out the chamber. Some guns get finicky (especially smaller guns and .22's) if you don't give them a quick cleaning. This should be permitted, or at least there should be a place where you can take your gun to quickly clean it.

I agree with Skans and would add that most bench rest shooters run the barrel after each group, nothing unsafe about a bolt action with the bolt removed. Especially when c0nspire's rule
Don't handle or otherwise fondle firearms when the range is cold. When people are down range or the range is otherwise cold, guns should be "hands off".
is applied.

Also what about the guys who buy a new rifle and choose to use a break in method that requires repeated cleaning.

A separate area to clean or clear weapons would require you to carry your weapon past all shooters between you and that area.

As long as the weapon remains pointed down range and is cleaned only during a "hot session" I don't see a problem.

A gun club that would not allow me to properly break in a new gun or shoot my BR is not one I would join.

Nathan

My experience says making a public range usable regardless of thee people on it will be a challenge. Basically, these are some keys:
1) Follow the 3 rules.
2) No crossing the firing line to draw. i.e. cross draw, shoulder, etc. Yes they are safe holsters, but I don't want your loaded gun pointed at me, thanks.
3) No pointing guns anywhere but downrange or down. Including the process of encasing.
4) During cease fire, leave the bolt open and stand clearly behind the bench.
5) Wear eyes and ears.
6) Smoke in a way which does not annoy those on the firing line.
7) To my dismay. . No time killers like chronographing, regular cleaning, reloading at the bench, or some discipline which requires excessive target changes like shooting bowling pins if the range is over 1/2 full.
8) black powder shooters should decap and store their gun pointed up when a cease fire is called to be clear
9) Limit target checking to remove and replace or moving, unless you can be as fast as others doing that. targets can be viewed, measured and oodled over at the bench.
10) CCW OK, but must not be handled, except in a defensive situation. i.e. no bringing your CCW and handling it during a cease fire. Open carry is same.
11) Some kind of dress code. As in try not to **** your fellow shooteers off with racially offensive, politically offensive or sexually offensive clothes, tattoos, etc. This includes things which often pass as OK at a shooting range like stop Obama t shirts, kill a muslim t-shirts, kill with a bible in your hand t shirts, etc.
12) No drinking, drugs, or behavior inspired by their use.
13) Don't shoot the range equipment, highway signs, money or other kinds on shooting vandalism.
14) Don't pick a fight or other aggressive behavior.
15) Don't shoot dangerous stuff. If you think you are shooting ammo which might blow up your gun, don't. This often looks like my hipoint has a crack in the frame, so I'll shoot it 'til it breaks.
16) Shoot at a range where your gun will hit your target frame so you know it won't go somewhere dangerous. As in no SKS shooting on thew 1000 yard range!
17) Don't touch other people's stuff without specific permission.

I'm sure there are more, but I have seen most of this.