Raised the bar on the G26

garryc

I was shooting 124 grain Berry's HBRN with 4.4 grains of WW231. That is a very accurate load, 9 ring accurate at 8 yards with the G26. But it is a mild load and not really similar to SD ammo of that weight.

I stepped it up to 5.2 grains of CFE Pistol. The recoil is right up there with Federal HST's 124 grain. I had to adjust my grip some but it's back in the 9 ring.

That's important in my training as I have a loss of 35% of my grip strength due to Peripheral neuropathy due to carpel tunnel for 25 years before surgery and diabetes.

Since the G26 is strictly an SD gun beyond 8-10 yards is irrelevant. But that it have the full recoil impulse is. I did the same thing with my Shield. While I got good with the Shield the G26's fatter grip helps me a lot. I have a bit of trouble gripping the smaller grip of the Shield.
My XD 3" is a bit bigger than I like to carry, the Sheild. for the reason I stated, is a bit small, this G26 seems to be a Goldilocks
gun.

Last edited:

amd6547

I don't agree with the characterization that anything beyond 8 to 10 yards is irrelevant.
My G26 does very well at 25 to 50 yards.
That's one of the things I like about it. A compact which shoots like a full sized.

smee78

I have had two g26s and could not warm up to it. I kept going back to my g19, only half an inch longer in the grip and barrel. I am glad you are happy with yours, but I fail to see what shooting full power ammo at 8 yards does?

garryc

Beyond that is rare, and living in a state that requires and affirmative defense makes it very risky. Can I hit at 50, yes, and have, concentration is in close.

I have had two g26s and could not warm up to it. I kept going back to my g19, only half an inch longer in the grip and barrel. I am glad you are happy with yours, but I fail to see what shooting full power ammo at 8 yards does

You have to understand this disability. While it might make no difference to you with normal grip strength it does to me.

Slimjim9

"Full power" and "8 yards" are irrelevant. The point is you need to be able to handle the recoil of your SD loads whether you're shooting at 3 yards or 8 yards. Practicing with the mild stuff is fun and helps with trigger control. It doesn't prove anything with the real stuff.

Having said that, there are Hornady 115gr and Winchester 147gr SD loads that may have a lower recoil than the HST 124 and be just as effective.

Since the G26 is strictly an SD gun beyond 8-10 yards is irrelevant.
I've been classified as a contingency planner, but all the same I have trained to 125 yards with a sidearm.

You have to understand this disability. While it might make no difference to you with normal grip strength it does to me.
I am curious as to what way the longer grip and barrel negatively affect you due to your disability.

Slimjim9

I am curious as to what way the longer grip and barrel negatively affect you due to your disability.
I don't think he is saying that. I think he is simply saying that he can really tell the difference between the target loads and SD loads and has to train for the SD loads. Personally I don't think that's a disability thing. We all need to train with what we carry.

garryc

With the loss of grip strength and feeling in my hands and then taking most of of fingers out of service that looses even more. I carry the G26 with the 10 round in, bigger mag defeats the purpose.

Having had this for so many years I can adapt and I do. It's just that I know what I need to adapt and that is full power loads.

I keep my lower power loads for my full size guns, that I won't conceal carry anyway.

Slimjim9

Wait, I'm confused. It sounds like you are saying the higher recoiling loads help you shoot better because you have reduced grip strength. Sure does sound backwards. Wouldn't lower recoil require less grip strength to control? :confused:

Yes, something here isn't computing for me either.

The Glock grip circumference, depth, and width are all the same for the full size and compact guns, right? The only thing that changes is the length as I understand it.

A G26 with an extended mag fits my entire hand pretty well, so I don't have any need of a G19s longer grip, but I don't think it would negatively effect me. I don't see how it could negatively affect you even with reduced grip strength. I am missing something here.

I carry the G26 with the 10 round in, bigger mag defeats the purpose.
What purpose does it defeat?

I'm not doubting the G26 is better for you. I just don't understand why.

garryc

Wait, I'm confused. It sounds like you are saying the higher recoiling loads help you shoot better because you have reduced grip strength. Sure does sound backwards. Wouldn't lower recoil require less grip strength to control?

That would be surrendering. It's a matter of feel, and feeling how tight I have it. You see, I can't really feel my hands like you do, numb and tingling much of the time. Not that I can't feel anything, just the sense is reduced.

After 36 years of shooting handguns I am not going to strand myself with 380 level loads. I had to give up the plow handle 44 mag and the 45 colt, no more. Adapt and overcome.

I think I understand.

Have you ever used a laser sight? I read or heard of someone in a similar situation who was able to adapt to a laser sight. It assisted with training by giving a clear indication of how the gun was moving when they fired and such. Providing a visual indication of what they could not feel. Not sure if it worked or was BS, but nobody complains about the placebo effect when it works for them.

garryc

I've got the grip down, punching inside the 9 ring. Now it's a matter of taking the grip quickly.

Of course it would help to have my holster, Alien gear says about the 20th. All I can say is it darn well better be worth the wait. I ordered the 3.0