Rainier HP in tubular magazine

DennisD

I just purchased a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .44 mag/spl. I would like to make my plinking loads using Rainier copper plated 240 grain but Midway is out of the flat point. Will the hollow point be OK in a tubular magazine? I would think so since the bullet shape is very similar to the FP. Just want to be safe since this is my first go round loading for a tubular magazine.

Sevens

I think when you are talking about a big fat handgun round loaded in the tube mag of a carbine, you really aren't talking trouble with almost any shape of (typical) .44 mag bullet. The problem with tube magazine fed lever guns are in true rifle calibers that would benefit from a sharp pointed bullet. Most handgun rounds don't approach the speed that benefits from using a long, slender slug.

You will want pay serious attention to a nice firm crimp on your .44 mag handloads for use in the carbine. Recoil will make the rounds in your magazine want to jump forward in their brass.

DennisD

Thanks. After I posted the question, I realized it was kinda stupid. :eek:

The owners manual warned about some FMJRN but that is probable more of a lawyer thing.

I know about the true rifle bullets with the sharp point being a problem hence the new rubber tipped bullets available for those.

zxcvbob

What I wonder about is LRN bullets in a carbine's tubular magazine. I have a mold for a Lee bullet with a long round nose and a high ballistic coefficient that I'd like to try (TL358-158-2R).

Bob