Raging Bull .44 Magnum, 6.5 inch barrel, ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE!

evenflow80

Hi everyone,

Brand new member here, and I apologize if in my ignorance I break any forum rules, unwritten or otherwise, but I really need some expert opinions and advice.

I bought my first gun about 6 months ago, a Ruger SP101 .357 revolver with 3 inch barrel. Its a great gun and Ruger is known for making excellent guns, but since its almost a snubbie, the recoil on it with the .357 Mag rounds is almost wrist breaking.

Now, I'm not a particularly big guy: I'm 5'8" and about 155lbs or so. Not an extremely experienced shooter either as I've shot my first gun barely a year ago, but have been to the range a dozen times or so since then, trying out different guns and such.

I just ordered a Raging Bull .44 Magnum with 6.5 ince barrel. Not sure when I'll get it, the dealer said it could be months until he gets a shipment from Brazil, but I paid for it in full, so its safe to say that at some point, I'll be a proud owner of that gun.

I'm mostly concerned about the recoil however. The RB is a big, heavy gun, I would imagine it weighs almost three times as my current Ruger SP101, and the barrel is slighly more than twice as long. Plus, the RB has factory porting, and that rubber padding on the grips, and I was wondering if all of these three factors will tame the recoil to the point where, at the most, it would feel like my .357 3" barrel.

I've heard mixed things from people: some people call the RB's recoil so manageable that's its a "***** cat" to handle, others say thier backs and arms are sore from shooting it, while videos I've seen of guys shooting it one handed and making it look like a pea shooter, almost NO recoil whatsoever.

Sorry for the ramble, but here are my questions that I would REALLY appreciate all of you experienced shooters answering for me:

1) Recoil: .44 Specials vs .44 Mags vs. .357: obviously, .44 Mag has greater recoil than a .44 special, but where does the .357 fit in all this? Assuming similiar sized guns, exactly the same, what would be the order or recoil on these three calibers from greatest to weakest?

2) Using the Ruger SP101 3" barrel .357 Magnum as the baseline, how would the recoil on the Raging Bull, in 6.5" barrel, compare to it? In both .44 Special and regular .44 Magnum?

3) Aside from being a big guy, what is the best way to handle recoil? Should I contain it and fight it and try to keep the gun as straight as possible? Or should I "ride it out" and go with the momentum of the recoil, letting the gun lift up and go with the flow? I've seen people use both techniques, but I also worry if I let my arms snap back with the recoil, my aim will be WAY off and hit the cileing or something :eek: ANY advice on the best way to handle recoil would be appreciated, I just have a hard time believing its as simple as: if you're a bigger guy, recoil will be less and that's IT.

4) Finally, any Raging Bull owners? How do you like the gun?? :)

Thank you in advance for anyone that takes the time to help a relative newbie out, very, very appreciated and I really look forward to your responses.

evenflow80

Correction:

SP101 .357 3 inch barrel weighs 27 ounces.

The Raging Bull .44 Magnum 6.5 inch barrel weighs 53 ounces.

So the RB essentially weighs twice as much as the SP101, not three times as much as I guessed above.

Sorry about that.

Thanks

Stainz

First, I cannot speak to the function and use of a Raging Bull, as I am not a Taurus owner. I have fewer revolvers than I like, but they are all S&Ws.

As to relative recoil, your .357M SP-101 will be brisk and loud - producing a loud 'crack' as the round becomes supersonic. The .44M RB, even with a 4" barrel, will be mild in comparison with .44 Specials - and produce more of a 'boom'. Of course, good eye and ear protection is a must. Also, even more important than the use of .38 Specials in a .357 Magnum, like your SP-101, the use of .44 Specials in your .44 Magnum revolver will require your cleaning the chambers of residue before loading the longer .44 Magnum cartridges.

A good way to 'start' a shooting session might be with a few Magnums - just to get the blood flowing through your veins - then switch to .44 Specials for plinking/fun - clean when you get home so it will be ready for Magnums next time. You can find good value plinking .44 Special ammo, both in 'Cowboy' lead and the excellent personal defender 200gr Speer Gold Dot, from the likes of Georgia Arms.

About handling recoil - do so from a two hand hold - standing, with your non-dominant foot pointed straight-forward, your dominant foot at right angle behind you - shifting most weight forward before you fire. If you look below, you'll see a lady Minister friend of my wife, ~5'4", who had last shot a firearm before that day - a .22 rifle - when she was a teen. She had just shot her NAA .22 Magnum pocket piece she had carried in her cars for many years - and had never fired. She asked what I had in my bag... I offered a .38; she said 'Bigger!' - my wife cringed - I said "How about a .44 Magnum?" as I jokingly retrieved my 6" 629 from my bag. 'Wow, Dirty Harry's gun!', she quipped. Below you'll see the grin that didn't leave her face - despite my homebrews of 240gr LSWCs at 1,100 fps (Not really stout - but much more than .44 Specials!). She handled the recoil well - despite having broken that wrist ~4 months earlier. She took a spent case to show her friends at work. My wife, a seasoned shooter and 5'10" of medium build - shot it, too - less the smile - and only once!

I removed the photo.

She never mastered that two-handed hold - but the recoil didn't prevent her from getting 4 of her first 6 in a 6" cicle at 15 yd. She got better, too. Anyone can shoot a .44 Magnum - in a steel revolver with decent rubber grips... at least once! Best of luck!

Stainz

Last edited:

Russ5924

You complain about the recoil of the SP 101 and then go out and buy a .44 Mag. If you don't like the recoil of the Ruger you are going to hate the Raging Bull:eek:

evenflow80

You don't understand.... I DID do my research and haven't just rushed out and gotten the Raging Bull, believe me every minute I have been out of work I've spent online researching it. The thing is..... I can't seem to get an answer that is agreed upon by everyone.

Just look at this topic for example: Stainz said that the recoil might be milder on the RB compared to my little Ruger, and to be honest, the SP101 I have seems to be somewhat notorious for wrist breaking felt recoil, very sharp and loud.

All my research seems to indicate that recoil is greately affected by the weight of the gun, the lenght of the barrel, porting, grips, etc. I KNOW that the .44 mag kicks like a mule, but I'm comparing it to a much lighter, much smaller barrel .357 SP101.

Will the factory porting, rubber grip, 2x barrel lenght, and 2x weight have enough effect on the .44 Mag recoil to bring it down to at least the same felt recoil as the much smaller .357 I have?

I'm sure there's a mathematical equation that would give me the definitive answer out there, but hell if I know it :p

chadwimc

I have the Raging Bull in .44 magnum. I use mine for deer hunting during gun season. Mine is ported, so the recoil, while stiff, is different from my .357 with a four inch barrel.

Proper hearing protection is a must while at the range. I use plugs and muffs.

You'll be fine. Enjoy yourself.

evenflow80

Chadwimc:

What do you mean the recoil is "different"? Can you elaborate as much as you can? A 4" .357 sounds close enough to my 3" Ruger to be a very close comparasion I can wrap my mind around.

Thanks for the words of encouragment, I'm determined to become a very proficient shooter with my .44 mag, no matter what it takes.

woad_yurt

I have a Ruger Redhawk and it weighs 54 oz. It kicks way less than I thought it would. I shot some top strength Double Tap 300 grain ammo (1215 ft lbs) and it was surprisingly manageable. Remington and others makes some in the 700-800 ft lb range and this stuff is even milder, kick-wise.

Your little SP01 with full strength .357 loads will kick way more than a big 53 oz gun firing .44 Magnums. Don't sweat it.

OP:
You bought it already, right? Just out of curiosity, why did you get a Raging Bull? A used Redhawk will cost you less.

rodwhaincamo

I own a Taurus Tracker in 44 Mag. Weighs only 34 oz with a 4" barrel. And I am about your size. I don't find the recoil that bad at all. I can easily shoot it with one hand. However, I tend to flinch often for some reason. Found out when I pulled the trigger on a spent casing. With the additional weight I figure it would tame it that much more. But you must know that Taurus wasn't built to handle the maximum Magnums. So be careful what you feed it.

evenflow80

I did look at the Super Redhawk (the dealer was definately recommending it over the Raging Bull, but I always suspected its because its arleady in his inventory).

However, almost everyone says the Super Redhawk is the absolute best .44 magnum you can buy, bar none.

At the risk of sounding shallow, I just didn't like how the Super Redhawk looked, but that's about it. The Raging Bull just looks so badass I couldn't resist.

BTW the dealer gave me an incredible deal on a brand new Raging Bull: $599. That's the cheapest I saw it ANYWHERE, new OR used. Even Taurus's website says something like $720 MSRP.

With tax any everything it cost $670.

The Super Redhawk was in the $750 or so....

evenflow80

I definately do NOT want to load it with maximum load Magnums. What is a good brand of .44 Magnum rounds that is the least heavy? And good quality too?

batmann

Recoil from a .357M is sharper and more apprupt than a .44M. IMHO, a .44M is a better overall weapon than a .357M for anything other than a CCW.
.44 Specials, even 'heavy' loads are relatively easy campared to most .357's. Only when you get into the really heavy .44M loads do they become uncomfortable to shoot. The main thing on a 44M is weight. The second thing is grips, use the best recoil absorbing grips you can find. Most people will tell you that wood grips look great, but most of us change them to rubber if we intend to shoot a lot.
I am not getting into the diferences between a Raging Bull and S&W or Rugers. You pay your money and you take your choice.

cerberus65

You complain about the recoil of the SP 101 and then go out and buy a .44 Mag.

I have to admit, that was my first thought too. :)

But if it's what you really want I can definitely identify with that. A friend at work tried to talk me out of a Tikka rifle and a .357 Mag. lever gun. Didn't work...

I have been wanting to shoot a .44 Mag. for quite some time. The range I belong to finally got their Super Redhawk repaired. I shoot full house .357 Magnums in my steel J-frame so I wasn't too worried about the recoil. I also shoot those same loads in a K-frame and that thing is sweet to shoot. Since the SRH weighs almost twice what my K-frame weighs the recoil wasn't bad at all and I thoroughly enjoyed shooting it. I had been looking to maybe buy one but now that my curiosity is satisfied I might be able to wait until I decide to hunt with a handgun or wander into bear country. We'll see...

I hope you get a good Taurus. Those who do are very happy. Those who don't start lots of threads about it.

evenflow80

Kerberos:

How long is the barrel/size of your .357 revolver?

I'm not sure what "load" the .357 ammo I shoot is, but its Remington in a yellow box, that's all I really know about it.

To be quite honest, I never really felt any difference with any of the various .357 brands I fired, they all seem pretty much the same in my little 3" SP101.... that is PAINFUL.

Again though, I never rushed out and got the Raging Bull, its just that some people tell me it will be much milder than my little .357, others tell me it will be worst, and then there are those in the middle. In the end though, most people tended to lean towards the Raging Bull's longer barrel, heavier weight, ported barrel, and rubber grips and say that this will negate the extra recoil of the .44 Mags to about .357 mag levels.

I hope I get a good Taurus too. Just like the recoil question, there are those that had great experience with them and zero problems and others who claim to have it jammed on thier first day on the range with them.... I think the key is good quality ammo that is not too heavy loaded as well as regular cleaning (pretty much after every time going to the range).

I just hate the waiting, I have NO idea when it will arrive. Could be months from now....

rodwhaincamo

I personally like Hornady for the quality and price. For the cheaper stuff I usually shoot the Winchester (white box - USA) JSPs. I'm wanting to try some Federal Cast Core or some sort of hard cast since I bought a 44 Mag as a piggie sidearm. Tough guys they are! And so a heavy bullet is preferable. Not sure what your intentions for a 44 Mag are, but 180-240 grns ought to be good for deer hunting.

evenflow80

I don't think I'll ever go hunting with it (I, uhhh, live in San Diego!!), just target/competitive shooting (when I get good enough, and I'm really determined to).

cerberus65

My J-frame is a snub nose (abt. 2"). My K-frame has a 4" barrel. Mostly I shoot stuff I've loaded myself. The factory ammo that I've shot ranges from about 505 ft-lbs to a bit over 580 ft-lbs. I don't remember being able to tell much difference from one end of that range to the other. I think having a good grip is key. I've never handled a Raging Bull but the grip looks promising. I'm betting it will be easier to shoot than your Ruger.

Rigby1962

I am a bit perplexed by the “months”of waiting. While I know they are made in Brazil I would have thought a gun like the Raging in 44 would be in good supply here. Has anyone else had to wait for their Taurus?

rodwhaincamo

Just so you know... You can use 44 Russian ammo as well, which is similar to 44 Spl in performance. I know next to nothing about competition shooting, but I don't think a 44 Mag would be ideal. I love the thundering boom of a 44 Mag. Nothing like that of a 357!

jhgreasemonkey

The raging bull is a decent choice. I use a redhawk .44 mag with a 5.5" barrel and with the pachmyer grips it handles like your raging bull. Your gun has really comfortable grips that help with recoil. Just remember you can fire .44 specials to start out if you are worried about recoil. Then work your way up to 180 grain .44 mag loads, then the standard 240 grain. But keep in mind not all .44 mag ammo is created equally. There is a wide spectrum of mild to wild loads on the market.