Raffle Choice: 1911 or 586

4570Tom

Local gun rights group is holding a raffle. Winner gets to choose between a new Remington R1 1911 in .45 ACP or a new S&W 586 in .357. Myself, I already have both a 1911 and an older 586 so I am not sure which I would pick if I were to win. Probably lean towards the 586, internal lock and all, but I could be swayed. Which direction would forum members go?

75218ron

It wouldn't hurt to have 2 586's, but I understand your problem. I would like another 1911 as well.....I'm not much help, I know.....probably the 586. You could get a Colt 1911 later.

Nick_C_S

I'm not going to be much help either - I like 'em both.

I have three 686's, and three 1911's.

I'm a revolver guy at heart; so I'd probably lean toward the wheel gun.

surveyor

Like others I like them both, and load for them both.
But I would lean towards the 586 If I had my druthers in your position.

4570Tom

Thanks for the responses. In the end, I guess having to choose between the two would be a nice problem to have.

RIDE-RED 350r

Nothing against them, but from what I have seen of the R1's they are pretty much milspec mechanically speaking. I like better sights with some level of adjustability and prefer a 1911 with an extended beavertail grip safety (big-ish hands here, hammer bite sucks) As mentioned above, probably a good foundation to build on.

Beyond that, I would take the 586 hands down, not even close.

buck460XVR

I'd assume the reason the winner has their choice is because the respective firearms retail for about the same price. That said, IMHO, at their price points the 1911 is a entry level piece and the 586 is considered upper tier. If one is looking to resell, I doubt if the choice would be an issue of more than just a few dollars. If one is looking to pass the gun on to heirs, then the 586 is the only choice. If it's going to be just an everyday shooter, than you must have your own preference.

lamarw

I own both a Remy R1 and a S&W 686-1. Both are good firearms in my opinion. I would choose the 586 just to have a blued version of my 686.

Of course, it would end up just a good donation to a good cause since I never win anything. :)

CajunBass

Depends on the barrel length. If the 586 has a 4" barrel, it get's the nod.

(The internal lock would have no bearing one way or the other.)

But on the other hand...I've got a safe full of Smith & Wesson revolvers. I don't have a 1911.

upstate81

I agree with cajunbass. If the smith has a 6 inch barrel id opt for the 1911. However if its a 4 inch that would probably be my choice. On the other hand i also dont currently own a 1911...so many options :eek: