Rack grade Garands

Dirty_Harry

I am going to get a garand, and you all say the cmp place is the best place to go. I am curious about the rack grade garands. They are cheap, but they say that there is some definant wear on them, and I understand that for the price, but my main question was to see how much wear and tear was on them.

Do any of you guys have any? And if so could you post some pics?
Thanks in advance,
Dirty

quack fiend

go to the cmp web site, it tells you the difference in the grades--and it has nothing to do with the metal finish or wood condition. for a good shooter that doesn't need rebarreling, go for a field grade--mine shoots 2-2 1/2" at 100 with korean surplus off a rest, a buddy's rack grade was shooting 6" when he got it. he had to rebarrel it right off the bat, spent way more than i did all-in- all

onemsumba

i've got 3

they all shoot pretty well. I haven't really tried to see how accurate they are though. It won't be a tack driver or even a moa rifle. in order to get to that you'll need to rebarell. Also may need to glass bed the stock, there is generally alot of play in them and they basically fall off.

You can expect that you'll need to do some tinkering. I've had 1 that was good to go out of the box. 1 that was coated in grease. 1 the triger group would fall out, 1 needed a new bullet guide.

they are a lot of fun to tinker with!

I would go with the $395 rifle and start from there if i were you. Get a new spring kit from Fulton Armory. may need a new triger guard as 2 of my 3 are loose. probaby need a new barrel if you really want it to shoot.

I've got one that does 1.5" groups at 50 yards. and 3" at 100. On Monday I shot one for the first time 1" wide by 6" vertical at 100 yards. I expect that was more me though as I went through them pretty fast. This is all without really trying or taking my time. oh and lakecity delinked machine gun ammo, not necessarly known for accuracy.

quack fiend

$425 + $23 shipping, and mine didn't need ANYTHING replaced--only thing i changed was the stock as either of these grades will have lots of dings and scrapes

Tim R

CMP is the place as they have the real deal....

If you look at M-1's from other places, you run the risk of a re-weld reciever, or a CIA reciever. The CIA's are a crap shoot for being in spec.

Then there are the new Springfields.......

If I were after the best of both worlds, I would look at a woodless CMP rifle, and plan on maybe a new barrel and a Weinging Stock from DGR. You would have about the same $ Springfield wants for a new one in it but with a little piece of history added.

I have a service grade Springer which I bought a few years back from the CMP. It was a good deal and it's a shooter. I wish I had been able to buy more.