R&D cylinder w/ Kirst backplate?

oldwheat

Has anyone attempted this? Theoretically it should be achievable with a little tweaking & fitting. It would be kinda nice to to have a 6 shot capability & a loading gate. Of course I realize that the original factory conversions didn't have a loading gate or back plate anyway, at least I never did see one.

grymster2007

I'm not entirely sure how the Kirst works, but this does not look simple. The timing features (ratchet) of the Kirst are machined into the cylinder rather than into the backplate as in the R&D. Thus, the R&D cylinder is of no use. Also, while I don't have a Kirst, there might be a good reason why they only hold five.

Sounds like a non-starter to me.

Raider2000

The Kirst conversion cylinders for the 1858 Remington Revolvers are very close to the original design that Remington used during the late 1860's & early 1870's.

The reason that the cylinder only allowes 5 shots & a dead spot is because of the rim size of the .45 Colt round like the old .46 Remington or .44 Colt is just slightly too large to allow 6 rounds to be loaded into the cylinder with the chambers straight bored like the Kirst & original conversions are.

The R&D conversion cylinders are Bored at a 5/8 of one degree to allow the 6th chamber to be loaded with a live .45 Colt cartridge & is Mr. Howell's patented design.

The Gated setup that Kirst offers is nice but was never done by Remington & does require some modification to the revolver to make the gate work like it's supposed to.