R&D convert cyl for .36 bp

KW-Bane

I got yet another convert cylinder(R&D), but this one is for my .36 cal BP.

I have not loaded or shot anything yet, but I'd like some guidence in loading data.

The info that came with this cyl said I could use .38 LC, .38 short & .38 special (use HBWC).

The components I have: W231, win. .38 brass, CCI 500 & 550 prms, .358 158 gr LRN & .357 Berry's HBWC (copper plate) (all cmpnts I use in my .357 smithy)

Hoping I won't have to go out to buy more components or actually buy ammo, I'd like to know what you all think. I do have some data (Speer's Reloading Manual) but would like some info from those of you that have loaded and had experience with same gun setup.

I did load some experimental dummy loads with both LRN & HBWC.

The 158gr. LRN OAL in manual says 1.510", but the 158gr. LSWC's OAL is 1.440".

Questions: Could the LRN be seated to the LSWC depth? If so, the load will fit in the R&D cyl with about 1/16" to spare. Would this be something worth trying? Any input would be appretiated!!

Thanks!!

Old Dragoon

I load 38 Spcl with the HBWC and pour fffg Black powder into the case enough to compress about an 1/8 t0 1/4 inch. I.E. figure where you hbwc will sit in the case and add about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch more powder, then seat the bullet the powder will compress and fill the hollow base. They don't look like the old 38 long Colt bullets, but they shoot pretty good.