R-25 Range Report

Been itching to take the Remington R-25 (.308) to the range ever since I picked it up at the gun show last weekend. So, got a chance to go to the range yesterday. Man was I excited to get her sighted in and see what she could do. It was overcast, about 80 degrees with about 5 mph wind at my back. Got her shooting straight within about 8 shots using some cheap Wolf Gold 150gr BTSP's. Didn't want to use the good ammo on this step.

Once I got her shooting straight I switched to the Hornady 168gr AMAX's that I picked up on Sunday. I got her fine tuned with these and managed a 4 shot group right at 1" with 1 flier just outside 1". I let her cool down for about 15 min. and then switched to the Hornady 168gr Match BTHP's that I shoot in my Savage 12 (which shoots around 1/2" all day long). These shot just a little better with a 5-shot group just under 1".

Then I started having some feeding issues. Actually it was more of a fail to eject issue. 2 times the spent case would lodge sideways and be pinned on top of the next round that tried to feed but only made it about 1/2 way into the chamber. So I loaded 1 round into the magazine and fired away and notice the spent case did not Kick out as far as normal but rather it just kinda hopped out slowly and landed about 6 inches away.

I have it on my to-do list today to take the bolt apart and make sure everthing is ok with the ejector. I suspect it's just dirty and needs a good cleaning and lube job. Anyone else have any ideas on what could be the cause of this?

BTW, I shot 10 rounds through it on Sunday afternoon at my parents house with no issues and the spent cases were flying out as they should.

johnnypi45

That seems odd to me....i've never had any issues with feeding or extraction with mine. I have about 400 rounds through it, and it is doing great. By sheer coincidence, did you remove the spacers in the magazine???

Oh, and by the way, mine really like 150 gr. remington core-lokts. They produced a 4/5" group for me on sunday as well. Give em a try some time, as they're not too expensive. Cheers!

Petey

I did remove the spacers from the magazine and it functions perfectly. This seems to be more of a ejection issue rather than a feed issue. The next round feeds fine exept the 2 time the spent case not ejecting caused the round that was feeding to bind against the spent case and get lodged halfway into the chamber.

johnnypi45

Ok sounds good....i was just curious. My guess is that this little hiccup will work itself out. Good luck and happy shooting!

Petey

Yes, sounds like a classic ejector or ejector spring problem. I would disassemble the bolt and clean the ejector pin channel. Sometimes debris in there can cause issues (if you are shooting higher pressure loads, the brass can extrude into the ejector pin channel and little bits of brass shavings get "bitten" off and foul the channel eventually).

It may also just be a weak ejector spring that needs to be replaced.

Jimro

Before you take the bole apart to check the ejector, soak the heck out of it in CLP. Oftentimes the "grit" that gets in there is carbon, and you can soak it out with ease.

Jimro

Zombie Steve

I could be waaay off here, but...

I don't know much about the R-25, but if you described that to me and were shooting an AR-15, I'd say to check and make sure your gas key is properly staked.