• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

quoting post with author's name in it?

FITASC

How to you quote a post with the author's name as well as the post?

Example:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Very rare to see inertia guns on a sporting course during serious competition mostly because they are typically lighter than a gas or O/U and they do not like to function with low recoil ammo(factory or handloads). It isn't that they can't be used; and if that is what you have, then go ahead and use it. That said, if I am shooting a semi, it will be my Beretta smurf gun with a little added weight

That first part that shows name and View Post.........thanks!

I do it manually, since the auto quote feature is turned off for this site.

First, I highlight what I want to quote and hit CTRL+C to copy it to the clipboard.

Then I open a reply window and click the icon for a quote. That leaves me with a place to insert the cursor and paste the quote, like this:

[quote][/quote]

I put the cursor between the two sets of quote tags and hit CTRL+V to paste the quote. Now I have this:

[quote]Quoted text goes here[/quote]

Now ... go to the opening quote tag. Enter an equal sign after "quote" and then type the screen name of the person you are quoting:

[quote=FITASC]Quoted text goes here[/quote]

I'm sure there's an easier way to do it, but I've been doing it that way for years and it always works.

Mal H

Staff
How to you quote a post with the author's name as well as the post?

Example:

That first part that shows name and View Post.........thanks!
See the icon that looks like a quill pen on a sheet of paper in the lower right of a post? Click on that. Then you will be taken to the "Quick Reply" screen at the bottom of the thread. Check off "Quote message in reply?" in the Options box below the Message composition box. Enter your reply in the composition box, and press "Post Quick Reply".

Doing all that (it's far easier to do than to describe) will accomplish what you want to do. I have done that with your first post as an example. The small icon to the immediate right of the quoted member's name is a link to the original post.

I would suggest editing the resultant post to remove any of the quoted post that isn't pertinent to your reply. It's sometimes annoying to see a long post quoted just so the member can add a one liner.