Quote for Novak .45

viper

Hey Guys,

Thought you might find this interesting. Below is a quote I just got from Wayne Novak for a custom 1911 built to my specifications on a NIB Colt Series 70. Novak's has Series 70's in stock. I'd be interested in your opinions.
------------------------------------------------------
Novak Govt. .45 built on hand-picked Colt Series 70
NIB Colt Series 70 $1000.00

Reliablility package $95.00
Videcki long trigger set at combat weight $125.00
Same commander hammer as on Wayne's Gunsite Service Pistol(I just like the way it looks.) $50.00
High cut under trigger guard $65.00
High ride beavertail grip safety(w/hump) $125.00
Single-sided extended carry safety $50.00
Checker front strap 30 or 40 lines per inch(whichever's the better way to go) $265.00
Checker backstrap $50.00
Forward cocking serrations $95.00
Matte rear of slide $40.00
Carry/bevel package 95.00
Novak semi-ghost sites with tritium inserts(front green,rear red) $265.45
crown barrel $25.00
solid bushing $45.00
bevel magwell 40.00
spiegel grips $75.00
Black T finish $300.00

Possible Additions:

Kart or Bar-Sto barrel w/left hand twist $265.00

If done on 70 series add Lower & Scallop Ejection Port $65.00

Thank You Wayne
-----------------------------------------------------

Seems a little heavy.

JohnO

I'm sure you can do better on purchasing the gun itself if you look around a little. The Black-T finish at $ 300.00 seems a little steep. However, everything else is fine. Your asking for a lot of work to be done. It's going to cost...Especially when done by a quality smith shop like Novak.

bk40

viper,

the prices are not out of line other than the Black-T and perhaps the NIB series 70 (not sure about availability of those).

FWIW, Walt Birdsong charges $125 to finish an entire pistol + 2 mags for MS residents :D and adds ~20 extra for out of state customers.

Looking at your list the only thing I might change would be to have the rear of the slide serrated rather than stippled, but thats a personal preference.

As JohnO pointed out, you do pay a premium for extra attention to details from a custom shop and its usually $$ well spent.

Anthony L

whew

A thousand bucks for NIB '70 series?

Keep in mind that using one of these is merely an affectation-there are far better, and cheaper platforms than a 20 year old pistol.

Consider the Wilson or Caspian slide/frames.
Under 400 easy for a fitted set.
Add 100 bucks for an unfitted Kart barrel
25-50 for the necessary small parts (not counting safeties, slide locks, m/s housing) and you have a true NM fitted slide/frame and much better way to go in my opinion...

But this is only my opinion :))))

BigG

Agree. The 70 Series is an affectation.

People who are beginning shooting now consider the 70 Series a classic; actually the Colt 70 Series was a significant step down from the earlier Colt Government Models which were very close to the military 1911A1s except for finish. The 80 Series are a better pistol, IMHO than the 70 Series. Do not worry about the firing pin block. That is not even a problem, I shoot mine all the time with nary a burp. If you hate it, pull the firing pin block and you have a 70 Series with better quality. Duh. You can pick up a like new of either flavor you prefer for much less. $500-600. Since you are going to modify it, why start with a new pistol? A used Colt or GI pistol or Norinco will provide a heck of a platform and not destroy a NIB Colt, which could have collector's value to somebody, if that means anything to you.

Just a thought. HTH

viper

Thanks a lot for your responses and great advice. It is really appreciated.

Listen, Ted Yost at Gunsite builds a lot of guns out there on Springfield parts. They're not finished guns, but rather parts that they have to do some machining on.

Anyway, how good is the Sprinfield stuff as a platform compared to the Wilson and Colt Stuff? Also, if anyone knows how good the McCormick stuff is, I would be interested to know. Is there anyone who just makes the best slide and frame, period?

And, between Kart and Bar-Sto, which is the better way to go?

I realize that's a lot of questions, but if you don't ask it, you can't learn it.

Thanks.

EQUALIZER

VIPER

I plan to build one from the ground up. If you plan to get one for carry, I'd shop around until you find one with most of those features already factory standard. Then, I'd go to Novaks or somewhere you can trust to do the extra odds or ends that you want. You might save a lot of money in the meantime and get what you want. As for triggers from Novaks, I can't talk from experience, but others have said that they are pretty heavy, if that matters to you. My personal 1911 will eventually be a multicaliber, depending on when I can save enough $ for the rest. It will be built on a Caspian frame and will be using a $400 Network Custom Gas barrel which includes instalation (only needs lowered firing pin hole) Here's some details Gas Guns. It should give me bulls eye accuracy and combat reliability. Calibers (45ACP/Super and 9x23).

If I were you and not building from the ground up, I'd save money by buying a Kimber or Springfield Armoury or any other higher quality production model and having just a few upgrades done to your own personal specs. Let us know what you decide.

Best regards,

eq

PS Viper: Looks like you posted before I was done writing. To answer your last questions, I've heard from several smiths and owners of both Kimber and Springfields that Kimber fits a little tighter-better tolerances. Not to say that SA are anything of poor quality. I'm sure that lots of happy SA owners could chime in. I may be wrong, since this is second hand info, but have heard that Wilson and Kimber use the same frames. Wilsons are waaay over priced IMHO. And the reviews in the gun rags always drool over them, but don't give much reason for doing so. Colts, I'm told are better quality forgings, but IMHO aren't as good of quality as they used to be. I believe that Caspian makes the best slides and arguably, Rock River Arms might have an edge over Caspian in the frame dept. The barrels you mentioned have a good reputation and either should perform the same (albeit BarSto might have a slight edge). Neither barrel is even close to the quality of the Premium Douglas air gauged barrels that I've seen in the Gas Gun line. Douglas barrels have been used in top bench rest rifles for a longer time than I can remember. However, if my heart were set on a recoil operated tilting link barrel, I'd go with the BarSto. Just make sure that you get someone who can fit them properly for whatever you plan to use it for and oil the top lugs, feet, link and pins between each use. The accuracy w/last longer that way.

[Edited by EQUALIZER on 01-19-2001 at 08:37 PM]