Quintessential .40S&W??

seeker073180

I was thinking of a caliber addition and I was drifting off staring at cases and boxes of 40. With no 38/357 or 9mm on the racks and was thinking: "Is there a gun that screams or proudly wears the badge of .40S&W? For example, 1911 = .45, or Glock 17/29 or Sig P226 speaks 9mm.

Most 40s seem to be adapted from 9mm frames. Just wondering if you folks thought there was a standout or particularly fine example of the caliber that distinguished itself from its 40 (or 9mm cousins).

ScotchMan

The HK USP .40 was designed around the .40 cartridge. The P229 was as well, but is basically a modified P228. The USP is the first gun I'm aware of that was designed specifically for the cartridge.

However, I don't think it has the same association with the caliber as the 1911 has with .45 for example.

Glock 23 and 27 are the essential .40 cal semiautomatic handguns, IMHO. They offer the best of both worlds when a 9mm conversion barrel is added to the package.

mrray13

Either the Glock 22, or a Smith and Wesson 4006, as they were the first pistols brought to the market for the round. I'd give the win to the Glock though.

TunnelRat

I was thinking about the P229 with DHS and Coast Guard contracts.

Yup. Customs and Border Patrol use the HK P2000 in 40SW LEM variant. I had one in DA/SA for a while. It was very pleasant to shoot. Honestly I find Glocks in 40SW to have far more felt recoil than either the HK or SIG. But I'm just a guy on the internet.

Martowski

I'd say the quentessential .40 is the Glock 22. Maybe not the best of the .40 breed, but certainly a competent service pistol that probably is more prevalent in .40 than any other handgun. Just look at how many police officers carry that particular firearm; I think you'd be hard pressed to find any one firearm carried by so many.

BarryLee

HK USP / P229

I own the USP in .40 and a P229 in 9mm and they are both awesome guns. I'm pretty sure they were designed specifically to handle the .40S&W round.

Desertguns

Depends on budget too...

If you've only got about $500, I'd say a Glock 23. Around here that amount will get you a Gen 3 or 4 with night sights. That's where my .40 indulgence started. (But 10 yrs ago, they could be taken here for about 425-450.)

Now if you've got a grand or more, the SIG P229 (with night sights and a short-reset trigger) is a nice have. I picked up my Scorpion P229 Elite for just under 11 last summer, so far it's my favorite 40 to shoot.

So I suppose one's budget comes into play as well.

TunnelRat

Now if you've got a grand or more, the SIG P229 (with night sights and a short-reset trigger) is a nice have. I picked up my Scorpion P229 Elite for just under 11 last summer, so far it's my favorite 40 to shoot.

So I suppose one's budget comes into play as well.

Now now. A standard P229 with rail should only run you $850-$900. And that's not even touching the massive used market for the P229s. Honestly idk why folks buy new SIGs with the number of excellent used ones out there. Unless of course you want something different, i.e. the Scorpion.

ClydeFrog

Smith & Wesson 4006/4046 .40.....

As posted, the .40S&W started its long career with the S&W 4006 line. Many cops & state troopers of the era used the 4046 DA only pistol.
The Beretta 96 & 96D had a big section of the .40 market.
The INS(Immigration & Naturalization Service) used the 96D with the SIG Sauer P229 DA only as a approved duty choice.
The LAPD issued the 96 series too after the 1997 Bank of America incident.

In 2013, I'd agree that the Glock 22 .40S&W is the most widely used .40S&W pistol followed closely by the SIG Sauer P229 series.

Clyde

LockedBreech

As posted, the .40S&W started its long career with the S&W 4006 line. Many cops & state troopers of the era used the 4046 DA only pistol.
The Beretta 96 & 96D had a big section of the .40 market.
The INS(Immigration & Naturalization Service) used the 96D with the SIG Sauer P229 DA only as a approved duty choice.
The LAPD issued the 96 series too after the 1997 Bank of America incident.

In 2013, I'd agree that the Glock 22 .40S&W is the most widely used .40S&W pistol followed closely by the SIG Sauer P229 series.

Clyde

Didn't the G22 beat the 4006 to the market?

kcub

I took my usp 40 out for a spin today, a one ragged hole kind of a gun. I love it and they are relatively cheap by hk standards. Used at palmetto state armory or new from cdnn.

WVsig

Glock 22 in the US because of the LEO market which is dominated by Glock and the 40 S&W round.

I was thinking of a caliber addition and I was drifting off staring at cases and boxes of 40. With no 38/357 or 9mm on the racks and was thinking: "Is there a gun that screams or proudly wears the badge of .40S&W? For example, 1911 = .45, or Glock 17/29 or Sig P226 speaks 9mm.

As a Side not the BHP screams 9mm IMHO more than the P226. It has been adopted and used by more military, LEO and civilians worldwide than the P226.