Quietest Subsonic 22lr ammo

Hi there.

What is the quietest subsonic 22lr ammo you have used?
Where i shoot is kinda close to other people and don't want to annoy or freak them out ( not that i'm doing anything wrong, just some people don't like guns), so i was wondering what the quietest ammo you have used?

Oh, out of a bolt action 22 with screw on silencer.

Thanks

B.L.E.

The CCI standard velocity long rifle ammo is some of the quietest accurate ammo I have shot. Just as long as you shoot it into a dirt berm or some other bullet stop that doesn't clang every time you shoot and you use a silencer, your neighbors will probably never realize you are shooting a gun.

In the U.S.A. we can't posses a silencer without a lot of red tape though. I was kind of amazed that in other parts of the world, silencers are not only ok but in some countries, are even mandatory for hunting large game with centerfire rifles.

briang2ad

If you shoot Colibri through a rifle, make sure it is SUPER Colibri. The Super has a bit more power to get the bullet through the whole tube. The Colibri is for pistols. In a rifle, it is quieter than a spring gun.

Legionnaire

In my opinion, f you're shooting with a suppressor, forget the Colibri, Super or otherwise. May as well go for something that will approach 900+ fps.

B.L.E.

I have never gotten Colibris or CB shorts to shoot small groups from a rifle. You would be better off with a .22 cal pellet gun if you want to do quiet target shooting.
At 25 yards, colibris are all over the paper.

banditt007

lets get a few things straight here... First anything you shoot out of a silencer to be effective must be SUB SONIC. That is first priority. Second is that there is subsonic ammo that uses a case filled with powder, and others that use just the primer (colbri) to propel the bullet. The quietest ammo is going to be the ones that just use the primer as the propellant (obviously) but lack any sort of real power, think of them as a medium/high power pellet rifle. To get almost 'full power' but still be quiet, you are looking at ammo firing bullets of 38 or 40 grains, just below the speed of sound. Of this type of ammo I found PMC moderators (discontinued, but supposedly aguilla's subsonics are the same), and RWS subsonic hollow points to be very quiet.

As for high volume shooting of regular subsonic ammo that isn't going to break the bank, i'm unsure. But no matter what you MUST use an ammo that is subsonic.... or you will get that whip-type super sonic crack. BTW most ammo that is for target use, is subsonic, though it will not specifically say so.

brmfan

I use Aguila Super Colibris out of a Savage MKII and it's no louder than a pump pellet gun. I didn't think much of those 20 grain pills at first, but then I shot one through a 5 gallon bucket filled with water at about 12 feet. It went all the way through and I recovered the round and it was completely intact! As for accuracy, I can easily blow sweet gum balls (about 1.5" in diameter) out of a tree I lasered at range of 47 yards using a 4X scope. All in all I am amazed at these rounds and I get a heck of a lot more target practice then I normally would since I can now just walk out in my back yard. :D

RAnb

lets get a few things straight here... First anything you shoot out of a silencer to be effective must be SUB SONIC.

I disagree with this statement. How do you define effective? I define it as not needing hearing protection. Subsonic bullets still make a humming noise as they go through the air and they can be rather loud when hitting the target.

Ranb

stevelyn

Can you use 22 short ammo out of a 22lr safely?

Yes, but you're going to have feed problems if the gun wasn't designed for them.

The quietest I've ever shot were CB Longs out a 20" barreled Winchester semi. They're quieter than a pellet gun. They are rated at 710 fps.

B.L.E.

banditt007 said:
lets get a few things straight here... First anything you shoot out of a silencer to be effective must be SUB SONIC.

RAnb said:
I disagree with this statement. How do you define effective? I define it as not needing hearing protection. Subsonic bullets still make a humming noise as they go through the air and they can be rather loud when hitting the target.

Yes, but, supersonic ammo makes a cracking-the-whip noise that's practically the signature sound of a .22 rifle, no matter how well the muzzle blast is suppressed.
I think the original poster defines effective as his neighbors being unaware that he is shooting a .22 rifle.

B.L.E.

tylerd1994 said:
how can you use the aguila super colibris out of a savage when they say they only work for hand guns?

Simple, open the bolt, insert a Colibri round into the chamber, close the bolt, aim at the target, and pull the trigger.;)

Make sure you can see through the barrel after every shot, especially if you "missed" the target, and keep a cleaning rod handy to push stuck bullets out of the barrel.

If you shoot with a freshly cleaned barrel, a stuck bullet is seldom a problem. It's dirty uncleaned barrels that seem to suffer from stuck bullets.

brmfan

+1 what B.L.E. said. Since the loads are not full power they have a greater chance of getting stuck in the barrel so that is why they say pistols only. I have shot thousands of them through my Savage and never had that problem. Same with my 10/22, but it's more of a pain to load them so the MK II is my go-to gun. I would think a Marlin with microgrooves would also be okay. Don't know about any other brands.

As far as loading, they feed okay from the magazine until I get down to the last 2 rounds.

old jeff

trg42wraglefragle

Lets examine your questions.

What is the quietest subsonic 22 lr ammo you have used?

Answer: Over 20,000 rounds of Eley, Lapua Wolf and RWS match rimfire ammo. All are subsonic because the speed is under 1100 fps. I also use a bolt action match rifle.

The speed of sound is 343 metres per second (1,125 ft/s).

No experience here, the regulatory issues are not worth the pains to acquire. Instead I use a barrel tuner because I'm more interested in accuracy.

Ammo specifically marketed as subsonic (in my opinion) is sold to folks at premium prices because of the Subsonic labeling. It's performance capability for hitting your target is questionable.

I would suggest that you pick up boxes from different companies and test them in your rifle. The longer the barrel the quieter the it will be. You should also test for accuracy, if you can't hit what you are aiming at what's the purpose?

Finally, if the noise level is too high then you look for the can.