Quiet .22s

Vek

Was wondering how much quieter subsonic 22s would be than normal. I'd like something quiet to push through Dad's Single Six for shooting grouse while deer hunting.
Thanks
JV

Poodleshooter

Rounds such as Remington's Subsonic .22LR are quiet, but the close proximity of the muzzle blast coming from a pistol will make it seem almost as loud as a .22 rifle with standard velocity ammo. Sorta like a .45 auto-it may only be going subsonic at 700fps, but you wouldn't want to shoot it w/o ear protection due to your proximity to the muzzle

P

PreserveFreedom

The only think I have been sucessful in shooting a subsonic round through quietly has been a bolt action rifle. If you aren't using a supressor, you will need that barrel length with no gap between it and the chamber. Autos are usually loud even with subsonics also.

beemerb

I have shoot CB shorts out of a rifle and handgun both for a test.Out of the rifle you could hear the firing pin hit.Out of a handgun it was allmost as noisy as a standard round.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.

K

KilgorII

I've had the same experience with CB shorts out of my single six that beemerb has. Try Aguila Cobri ammo. It might work.