Quick...which lever?

Polinese

Option 3 hold out for the side gate henry?

Otherwise of those two I'd pick the rossi, not as nice but I really hate the tube feed.

chris in va

Guys, I found the holy grail. I appreciate the help, found a Henry round barrel, steel side gate 20”. It wasn’t even on the website, just happened to be on the display.

jetinteriorguy

Lucky guy, I’ve been on the lookout for one of these for a while. I’m probably going to wait a while until prices come down to a reasonable level, I’d go $850.00 but not $1100.00-$1200.00. But I’m more than happy with my non side gate and shoot it a lot. Even when I get the new one my original isn’t going anywhere.

ciwsguy

A bit late but I’d get the Henry. I’d also consider upgrading the sight to a peep site, though it may require changing the front sight too. I really like the skinner peep.

Last edited:

chris in va

Thanks guys! I had the chance to put a couple hundred through it, eats everything so far although it’s just been some Berry’s and my LRN 38’s, powdercoated. What an absurdly fun gun.

I have a fiber optic front sight on the way and maybe at some point a Skinner sight.

jetinteriorguy

I put fiber optic sights front and rear on mine and love them. Although the original sights aren’t bad, I still have them on my .41 mag BBS. I am considering putting a 4x scope on my .41 thought but still contemplating that idea.

gaseousclay

I'd go Henry because it's MiUSA.

On a side note, it's interesting that Winchester 94's, even the crappy post 64's up through the 70's, are fetching top dollar on gunbroker. I've seen some top out at $1000. Crazy. Can't seem to find any Miroku made 94's either. Could be that Japan isn't allowing certain carriers to fly to the US due to Covid.

Sarge

The Henry will have much better QC, finish and run smoother. If you want to change sights later the Henry has standard, 3/8" dovetails. Henry's customer service will be light years better.

I've had three Rossis. If I was buying a 357 lever action today, it would be a steel framed Henry.

Good choice Chris. If you ever put that little rifle on the bench at 100 yards, I'd sure like to hear about it.

zeke

Pistol caliber levers are ton of fun, and extremely practical. Just bought my first Henry, a 44 "x" sidegate model. Smooth action, threaded muzzle, blckened finish and much easier to see sights. Took it home and cleaned it, and found a straight "track" down most of the length of the barrel where something chewed into the rifling, complete with little bits of metal hanging down.

Have long standing relationship with the dealer, and Henry plant is just 25 miles away. Certainly give them opportunity to make it right, as lemons escape from everyone.

Alos realized there cleaning/ basic dissembly procedures/videos don't even show how to remove the bolt for proper bore cleaning in Marlin type action.