Quick Reply: Colt SAA 3.5"?

Chindo18Z

Was in my local shop (looking at an H&K USP Compact .40) when I noticed the only Colt in the store...Blue SAA, case-hardened frame, 3.5" barrel, wood birds head grips...NIB $497. I don't have a lot of experience with SA Colts, but assumed this must be a Cowboy. Have heard less than stellar reports about that pistol. The box said Colt SAA not Cowboy! Is this for real? Finish was amazing...fit was tight...trigger was sweet. Is this just a version of the Cowboy?
I had always thought the SAA was much more expensive. I LOVE THIS GUN. Kinda forgot about the H&K. Is this worth buying? I'm no longer a fan of Colt, but damn...I've always wanted a Peacemaker. I didn't know Colt made the short barrel and birds head grips. This is a factory weapon, not an after market custom job. Help! I don't know diddly 'bout Colt SAAs. Make me get the USP (or I'm going to buy the Colt first thing in the AM).

GIT_SOME.45

Only the Colt SAA will spell C-O-L-T when you cock the hammer back...

Big difference between the two IMO, find out which it is...

BEST

------------------
SHOOT,COMMUNICATE AND MOVE OUT !

JackFlash

Let me get this straight.

You're asking if the gun is an original, antique Colt SAA "Peacemaker" ???

It's not. It's a new copy of the SAA. A "cowboy" action gun is anything that's moderately patterned after 19th Century firearms. They don't say "cowboy" necessarily.

An antique Peacemaker is gonna run thousands.

Gunslinger

The Colt "Cowboy" is the name given to the new Colt single action. It is described in Colts catalog as being a reproduction of the famed Colt Single Action Army. It is not even considered nor marketed as a fourth generation SAA. Colt did produce some third generation SAA's with the Birdshaed grip and short barrels. I was not aware that they had built/were building a similar version on the Cowboy model. However I can not imagine this being anything other than a Cowboy at that price. The Cowboys poor reputation is based on the fact that it features a cast frame and transfer bar like the Ruger Vaquero. Purist, like myself, see it as a sorry example of the legendary SAA.
Look at the gun to see if it has the transfer bar. If so it is a Cowboy. The price is still probably good even then but.......well it is not a real a Colt and not a real Colt Single Action Army.

------------------
Gunslinger

Chindo18Z

NOT A COLT! Boy am I dumb...Looked this gun over hastily after trying on various H&Ks for size. It's a US Firearms? clone in a cleverly designed Old style Colt look-alike box with "Hartford Connecticut" prominently displayed. In spite of this, it's really nice (nicer than most Italian clones or even Rugers that I have handled). No, I didn't really think this was a Colt SAA, but I did wonder for a while...Excellent styling, fit, and finish. No transfer bar, Colt style hammer mounted firing pin, and a pretty reasonable price. Classic hammer-on-an- empty-cylinder design. Shopowner wonders if Colt isn't farming out some parts to this firm for European consumption. Anyway...I bought the USP Compact .40! Might still go back and get the .45 Long Colt, though. Thanx for the feedback.