Quick question: What is extruded powder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAL

I noticed in the Midway catalog that some powder dispensers are not recommended for use with extruded powders. Can anyone tell me why and what is an extruded powder?
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA

DAL

Damn! I posted this in the wrong forum. Would someone please move this to the reloading forum?
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA

James K

Member In Memoriam
Well, maybe I can handle that question. Extruded powders are made by pushing the powder mixture, which is like a dough, through fine holes in a screen. It is exactly like making spaghetti or macaroni, but on a smaller scale. The powder granules look, in fact, like tiny spaghetti or macaroni, as they are short rods or tubes. The gray color is a coating to control burning and feed better through measures.

The other type of powder in common use is ball powder, which is made a different way and is in small balls; these are sometimes flattened slightly. They are similarly coated.

All measures work better with ball powder, but some don't work as well with extruded powder, having sharp surfaces that cut grains and hinder the operation of the measure.

HTH

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.