Quick question on an FFL issue

Austin Cowart

I just bought my first pistol on gunbroker the FFl i bought it from mailed it out today but mailed it UPS ground. Now i was under the assumption that all handguns had to be shipped over night. Do FFL holders get an exemption? I know the answer is floating around but i couldent find it.

Cheers
Austin

blume357

yes, FFLs can ship with the U.S. post office.

it's the regular folks like us that can't or aren't supposed to.

sasquatch

yes, FFLs can ship with the U.S. post office.

That wasn't the question. UPS is United Parcel Service, and if a handgun is shipped via them it is supposed to go overnite, per their rules.

Austin Cowart

Thats what I thought. The last 2 handguns i shipped with them had to be overnight. I wasnt sure if FFL holders had any type of exemptioin.

Austin Cowart

?

I dont totally understand Ken and I would think you could answer my question better than most so are FFL holders not required to mail a single handgun overnight via Fedex or UPS, or is it only if they ship a certian ammount of them at the same time? I see most salers have a 20 to 25 dollar shipping fee when i know personally that it costs upwards of 50 so in my head the math answers the question with a simple no FFL holders dont have to ship overnight but I figured I would ask anyway.

hanno

FFL holders are allowed to mail a handgun to another FFL holder via the U.S. Post Office. That is a lot cheaper than UPS or FEDEX.

It is a little more complicated than that because not all FFLs can use the post office - a 01 license holder can, a 03 license holder (C&R) cannot.
But the simple answer is that if a handgun is going from a dealer to another dealer the mail can be used.

Now, as regards UPS policy, here is the UPS policy from their own site:
"Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services."
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/guidelines/firearms.html

The "next day air" thing is an internal UPS policy. I read once that it was due to UPS concerns about handguns being stolen from their system because of the delays inherent in ground transportation. I don't know if that is correct.

If the guy you bought from shipped a handgun via UPS ground, that is between him and UPS to resolve.

Last edited:

sasquatch

The "next day air" thing is an internal UPS policy. I read once that it was due to UPS concerns about handguns being stolen from their system because of the delays inherent in ground transportation. I don't know if that is correct.

If the guy you bought from shipped a handgun via UPS ground, that is between him and UPS to resolve.

A handgun I bought recently on Gunbroker from a very large dealer in NY was sent via UPS ground. It took a week from NY state to WA state. I wonder what would happen if the gun store who shipped it had to file an insurance claim with UPS, and had to 'fess up to the fact they broke the rules.

Wildalaska

I see large companies shipping handguns non overnight all the time. It depends on the volume of biz you do.

WilditsallthedollarsbabyAlaska TM