Quick question about my 686 - rebound spring

spacecoast

Does anyone know the power rating of the standard spring in my 686-4? I replaced mine tonight with a 14 lb spring, the Wolff kit I drew from has "reduced power" springs ranging from 12 to 16 lb.

spacecoast

Thanks Jim, I missed that... the answer is 18 lbs for all J, K, L and N frame revolvers. I had no issues today in 30 rounds of SA and 60 rounds of DA with the 14 lb spring.

Nanuk

You can keep going lighter until the trigger reset gets sluggish. It depends on your intended use how light you try to go, the Smith is over sprung there, for for defensive purposes you want a snappy reset.

madcratebuilder

The Wolf trigger return spring is a great addition to any DA Smith. A friend just did a return spring on a late 40's M&P, boy what a smooth trigger, instant trigger job.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Just me again with the usual note of caution. Gun makers use over power springs so their guns will function under extremely adverse conditions, like cold, dirt, sand, mud, etc. For a gun that will be used only on the range, that power can be reduced a lot to make operation easier. But if the gun will be carried under other than ideal conditions, and where one's life might depend on its functioning, changing to weaker springs, versus learning to use what is there, should be considered carefully.

Jim

spacecoast

Jim -

I fully understand, this is not a carry gun at all and I would never use reduced power springs in a SD gun. I was just trying to see the effect of using a reduced power spring in the 686 (as I have done in my Models 14 and 17) and did see quite a bit of improvement in terms of ease of cycling the action. I'm also going to try the Wolff mainsprings in both my target guns and see if those will lighten the action further while maintaining 100% ignition.

Last edited:

spacecoast

Have any of you ever had adverse effects from using a reduced power trigger return (rebound) spring?

I put a 12 lb spring (the lightest available from Wolff) in my Model 14 and had a couple of misfires (light primer strikes) afterwards in a 60-round match. However, after examining the gun I realized that the mainspring tension screw was backed out perhaps one turn (not sure why I wouldn't have put it back in all the way). After I made sure it was tight I have had no further problems.

As Jim mentioned, spring replacement is not recommended for SD guns, only for target guns where easier/smoother trigger pull for rapid fire DA is advantageous and a misfire would cost only points.

Last edited:

Nanuk

I have seen revolvers that you had to push the trigger forwards - somebody cut more coils off the spring than wise. There is a magic number of coils, I just do not remember at the moment.