Quick Question About Berry's Plated Bullets .40 Cal

Armed_Chicagoan

I bought some Berry's plated bullets this morning, .40 cal 165gr flat point. Product # is 54174.

The Hodgdon site has load data for this bullet I *think* under "165 GR. BERB FP"? I'm questioning whether this is the same bullet because Hodgdon lists the bullet diameter as .400", while the box I bought says the diameter is .401".

Is it just a misprint on the Hodgdon site and I can safely use the load data for "165 GR. BERB FP"? I'm pretty new to reloading and don't want to do anything dangerous and/or stupid!

serf 'rett

Is it just a misprint on the Hodgdon site...

Not exactly a misprint as much as the omission of 0.001". 40S&W Jacketed bullets are normally around 0.400" diameter; however, cast lead or plated may be slightly oversized to get a better seal and fit in the 0.401 barrel groove diameter.

...and I can safely use the load data for "165 GR. BERB FP"?

Yes. I've loaded these bullets before, but recently switched over to the 165 grain hollow back flat point thick plate Berrys.

Always start with beginning loads and carefully work upward.

Armed_Chicagoan

I forgot to thank you for the post surf 'rett, ut it was appreciated!

Loaded up 50 rounds of the Berry's 165 grain with 7.4 grains of HS-6, and another 100 with 7.7 grains. Max load is 8.1 grains. Gave the bullets a light crimp, just enough to eliminate the effects of the expander die really.

Shot the whole lot today out of my PX4 Compact and they shot very well, the best I shot that pistol actually. Probably I'm just getting better at it with practice though, I think I have about 1300 rounds down the pipe now. I don't see any reason to load more than 7.7 grains of the HS-6, there's only about a 100fps difference between min and max load so why push it?

I'm going to buy more of the Berry's when I find them again, gonna try the 155 grain ones too. Picked up a lot of .40 brass at the range today! :)

Nick_C_S

I'm pretty new to reloading and don't want to do anything dangerous and/or stupid!

Dumb questions are more easily handled than dumb mistakes. Good catch on your part - you're being observant. A good quality to have as a loader.

You're loading approach and attitude is right too. You're HS-6 recipe in right in the fat of the load data. You're right: If it's burning clean, it's accurate, and it's shooting as you like it, then consider that recipe "set" and load away.

Well played.