quick question about a 10/22

Teirst

So I am looking at buying a 10/22 and am wanting to double check that I am getting a decent deal.

Guy has a blued 10/22 that he has swapped out the factory barrel for a stock 22" SS barrel. He says he has headspaced the bolt, installed a buffer, done the bolt release mod and worked the trigger down to just under a 3 pound pull.

I would be adding tech sites and using it for a future appleseed...so no plan of adding a scope.

He offered the gun for $300....decent deal?

Locally the 10/22's sell for $300-$350 (new) but I don't really know the value of the different barrel + the mods he has done.

JimmyR

I bought a blued 10/22 carbine length for $225 new. Again, location plays a role in pricing, but depending on the model, that might be a little high for a used gun.

Second, do you know how good he is with gunsmithing? Anytime I see someone who has put in that much to a gun and sells it makes me cautious.

For the price he is asking, I'd probably pass unless he was a professional gunsmith. Tinkering with a gun at your kitchen table does not make someone a gunsmith, and does not make mods made to said gun increase the value.

Teirst

I talked to him and did some forum stalking....

Basically he is a 10/22 fanatic and has like 3/4 of them at any given time and does rimfire competitions. Basically he was using it for a test between the Shaw barrel and the kidd barrel....after he was done with the test he tossed a 22" barrel he happened to have on it so that he could sell it.

He took it out in its current configuration and shot a couple hundred rounds and ended up with these http://i.imgur.com/IUhSYsV.jpg

2 inch groups at 25 yards seems big to me....but then it is also factory iron sites and 25+ shot groups.

45_auto

Locally the 10/22's sell for $300-$350 (new) but I don't really know the value of the different barrel + the mods he has done.

It's a stock barrel with a stock chamber, it doesn't add any value at all. You want something with a Bentz chamber if you're going to replace the barrel.

How did he "headspace" the bolt? Headspacing a 10/22 bolt consists of machining the face of the bolt down until the recess for the bullet rim is the same depth as a .22 rimfire cartridge. Stock 10/22's run a little over .050, .22 rimfire cartridge spec is .042. I've seen a LOT of 10/22 bolts ruined by "home machining" with a belt sander. The right way to do it and maintain the squareness of the bolt face is with a milling machine.

The groups look VERY unimpressive for iron sights at 25 yards from a bench. I'd expect something more in the neighborhood of 1/2" at worst.

I'd pass on it, looks and sounds like to me that he's trying to get full price for extra parts he doesn't want by building a "Frankengun".

Go to Bud's Guns and get a brand new one for $280 with free shipping.

TnTnTn

Listen to 45 auto-don't walk but run from this 'deal'. You would be much better off starting with an unmodified used one and adding components to get it to where you want.

zukiphile

Listen to 45 auto-don't walk but run from this 'deal'.

I concur.

An ordinary 18 inch carbine barrel isn't necessarily all that bad, and just free floating it will likely shrink groups considerably.

In your shoes I would look for a good price on a new 10/22 and make my own mistakes rather than buy someone else's.

Boomer58cal

$199 new here in OreGun. I wouldn't pay over $300 no matter what was done to it.

Boomer

P.S. Make sure his trigger job is safe! Better safe than sorry.

Pahoo

Grey Area !!

I work on these, all the time and can put a dollar value on all the work he has done. At last weekends GS, these Carbines were welling for $196.00, new. You can do the same mods on a new one, for less than $50.00. The newer barrel is the unknown as well as condition. This is hard to call and I'd offer him $250.00, if it's in good shape and you really like it. :)

Be Safe !!!

gpjoe

I just bought a matte blue Ruger LVT (light varmint target) version of the 10/22 assembled by AcuSport with a tapered heavy barrel, target trigger, and polished bolt - BNIB for $299 + tax. I'd rather have the LVT than the OP's "frankenrifle" for the same money.

zukiphile

A ruger ltv is probably nice, but would not be suitable for the OP's stated use. Those 22 inch barrels can be attractive to people who intend to install better iron sights for which the additional site radius should be a benefit.

Of course, the additional site radius offered by a longer barrel will not be useful if the barrel has been detrimentally altered.

Shadi Khalil

I must concur, run from that deal. I just got my first 10/22 and in it's stock confirmation the gun is excellent. Save yourself the headache of dealing with another person's problems and get a brand new one.

M1ke10191

A new 10/22 up here runs almost $450 so that may be a good deal depending on where you live. And, like others have said, if you go through with it make sure you test that trigger even if you have to dryfire it once or twice.

SVTCobra306

If those were 50 yard groups, it would be different.. both of my box stock 10/22 carbine's will meet or more likely beat the results your guy has gotten at 25 yards.