Quick--is a S&W 65 police trade in for $500 even remotely reasonable?

wild cat mccane

Kinda duplicates my 686s, but still interested. The price was kinda enough that I almost bought it without much though, but then I started to question how close that is to a new 66 price...

Any thoughts?

eflyguy

I don't buy/sell/trade, as everything I own has a purpose, but just casually browsing now and then, examples of them all are listed for quite a bit more than I paid - new or used.

44caliberkid

Not a bad deal at all. I have one that may have been unfired, like new when I bought it. A police trade in may have very little use, just carried in a holster and an occasional qualifying shoot. Lots of the departments that carried them used 38 Specials for practice and only loaded 357’s for duty. Good buy, enjoy.

reddog81

It's not a bad price, but I don't consider them to be a great deal. If it was something I was looking for, I'd go for it. You're going to have to search for a while to find a better price. But once you add shipping, FFL fees, maybe sales tax I'm guessing you start to get up into the $600 range for a fixed sight, beat up police trade in.

A price isn't real until someone actually pays for it. There are lots of dumbasses on Gunbroker trying to sell stuff at very inflated prices. Unless you have to have that one I'd pass.

wild cat mccane

Right. I had it in my cart with a final charge of 550 with tax (ships free).

In normal times, a 686 Plus 4" is 650 and a GP100 4" SS is 620.

I know not normal times, but I probably wouldn't accept 20 years of daily wear and an unknown use unseen on any other trade at $500 for most guns. This isn't even half of crazy prices for the S&W 66.

I think $500 is the perfect price for guns.com. Some will jump who don't want to spend the current 686/GP100 prices of 700-900. If you can hold off, maybe not a good cost to condition decision. At 400? I bet they'd be sold out. Well worth it to squeeck out the extra dollars some will pay.

Good call. Not really a deal if you don't WANT a 65. Got excited. Thanks for the thoughts.

Carmady

"Welp, if you all want, guns.com claims to have a shload of 65-4, -5, -6, -7s all for the same 499 price."

That seems high to me, but I haven't been keeping up with prices for quite a while.

Is it one of these deals where you don't see pic of the actual gun you're buying?

rodfac

Condition? No price makes any sense unless...you know the condition. LEO trade-ins vary considerably depending on their level of service...how many years of use...how many qualification runs? Monthly, quarterly, yearly? And finally, did the officer that carried the piece routinely take care of it? Unseen, you're buying a pig in a poke...at least with GB, you get pictures of the actual gun you are buying. Rod

Drm50

Like SS Steve said, the asking price on line is no way to price. Actual sale price is what to go by, using several sales , averaged. Guys that talk about jumping on gun like a duck on a June bug are crazy. Before anything else condition has to be considered. I use to sell guns to PDs. Took their trade ins on the deals. There can be a wide variation in condition of police trade ins. There will be a few that are mint, a lot bigger percentage that have cosmetic issues. Always a few that are beat. Very few have been worn out from shooting.
While PD trade ins can be excellent deals, buying them on line is iffy. I would say for most guys when you factor in shipping, transfer fees, ect you are better off buying at a LGS.
The $500 isn’t killer it’s average price. I don’t collect service or stainless S&Ws. I do get them on trades and right now in my opinion any S&W service type revolver in Good condition is $500. I also think used S&Ws have topped out. Guys that paid 90% prices for 80% guns are stuck.