Quick detach sling mounts for AR and Garand

baddarryl

Is there a quick release system that will work with this mounts? Or do I have to modify them. I think the Garand's will unscrew, but the AR look like a rivet. I will if I have to I guess. I want to be able to change slings quickly from the Hasty while standing to the Loop sling for sitting/prone positions in Appleseed. What is my best solution?

Actually now that I think about it I am stupid. All I have to do is have 2 slings marked where they need to be and practice changing them out with speed. I think that is just a doable.

Thanks.

Last edited:

zukiphile

If you don't like the GI cotton sling itself, could you just use the quick release tab on the butt end on another sling?

baddarryl

It is not that I don't like the sling, but rather I want to be able to use both configurations quickly. Last time I tried it it was on the line and that was just to hectic to be experimenting. I think I just need to mark them and practice at home.

Last edited:

zukiphile

It is not that I don't like the sling, but rather I want to be able to use both configurations quickly. Last time I tried it it was on the line and that was just to hectic to be experimenting. I think I just need to mark them and practice at home.

That's what Appleseed people want to see you doing.

I think that illustrates a problem with the sling itself. Gun shows near me always having people selling sling and buckle sets for two or three dollars. A couple of those and some chicago screws allow you to make what you prefer. For less than $10 you can put together s single sling that works as a hasty sling and cuff without adjustment on the line.

Just an idea.

Reloadron

Using the standard USGI cotton web sling with the M1 Garand, M14 and M1A a single sling was used and we marked the sling (a single line) using a fine point marker for the different adjustment locations such as offhand, sitting/kneeling and prone. A single sling was used and marked for the course of fire.

Ron

baddarryl

Thanks guys. I will look up how to do that. I did just watch an old WWII training video where the instructor showed how to use one sling for both, but it looked like one of the older leather slings that had more buckles etc.

zukiphile

the instructor showed how to use one sling for both, but it looked like one of the older leather slings that had more buckles etc.

I like those, but good ones cost more than you may prefer to spend.

Chris_B

I did just watch an old WWII training video where the instructor showed how to use one sling for both, but it looked like one of the older leather slings that had more buckles etc.

The sling used in the training film was almost certainly the Model of 1907 leather sling, which is a classic sling still used for marksmanship.

baddarryl

Those blueforce adapters are perfect I think I will get on for my AR.

For the Garand that 1909 just looks beautiful! Question Chris, can you shift from Hasty to Loop fairly quick on the fly with that? Also do you use or recommend the WWII reproduciton or something like the Turner national match slings?

http://www.turnersling.com/slings.html

Last edited:

Chris_B

Turner has a good rep. I have also heard good things about El Paso Saddlery

I'm cheap, I find M1907 types at shows, 20 bucks here, 30 bucks there. But I have no idea who made them, I just buy the ones that have good leather, stitched no rivets, and sturdy hooks. Once in a while I find originals or at least one part or the other; my 1903A3 has one half of the sling WWI vintage and the other WWII, I think I have 50 bucks into that but I knew what I was looking for and it took a couple years to find the second half cheap.

I think the Turner or El Paso would be worth the money though.

I don't really know enough about national match vs reproduction except the WWII repro would use steel hooks, and some matches might have rules about slings.