Quick and Simple Review of Kinetic Bullet Pullers

lamarw

A few weeks ago, we had an interesting discussion on using the hammer type kinetic bullet pullers.

Here is the link: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451390

The above thread primarily discussed the pros & cons of the kinetic bullet pullers, the best way to use a kinetic puller and the differences in quality and/or usefullness of various kinetic pullers.

I took a few pictures of my method and the three pullers used in this simplistic test.

I tried the the Frandfort Arsenal model, an RCBS model and a Berry Bullet Company model. (left to right in the picture). The first and most noticable difference is the Franfort and RCBS models have a metal shaft enclosed in a synthetic handle and hammmer head mechanism. The Berry model is made of a synthetic material and has a black rubberized coated handle. All three are of about equal weight and size; althought the Berry model has a slightly thicker handle. The larger rubber handle might be a little easier to use in case your hands are sweaty or you have bullet or case lubricant on your hands.

The Franfort Arsenal model comes with three collets to use with various size or caliber brass. I am not sure about the RCBS since I acquired this unit used with only one collet. The Berrry unit comes with four collets. All the collets seem to be interchangeable between manufacturers. You deferentiate between the collets to use by ammo size by the number of circles stamped on the back of each collet. The Berry puller also uses a color coded rubberized band holding the three piece collet togehter. I see this as a slight advantage for my aging eyes.

I strike the kinetic hammer against a piece of scrap wood placed in an anvil. I do so by striking the hammer head against the cut end (against the wood grain, see picture). Some of the other forum member prefer striking against concrete, marble, and even lead blocks. I prefer the wood since I know it works, and I do not have to get down on my hands and knees on the concrete (LOL).

My test used a loaded and crimped 9 mm pistol round and a .308 rifle round. It is not a scientifc test since I do not know the exact strength appled during each strike. I tried to make each strike the same and with a snap to my wrist as the hammer head struck the wood. It took only one strike with the Berry hammer to separate both the 9 mm and the .308. It took two strikes by the Frankford model on each round. It took one strike with 9 mm and two strikes with the .308 round with the RCBS puller.

My personal belief is all three work as advertised and are handy on a reloading bench. This informal test might give a slight edge to the Berry model, but I would not pay significantly more for it over the other units.

I do not believe, if used properly, any of these kinetic pullers will break or fail in their mission. I suspect reports of broken kinetic pullers is user error by striking the hammer too hard and with too firm of a grip on the handle. You want the tool to vibrate as it strikes therefore separating the bullet from the brass.

Here are pictures.

Attachments

• BP 1.jpg
    BP 1.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 163
  • BP 2.jpg
    BP 2.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 152
  • BP 3.jpg
    BP 3.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 141

Berry's MfG

Good review, you are right on the money when it comes to hammers they really are a price point item. I've used them all and they all do what there supposed to.

Red Cent

The exposed metal shaft stings my hand. None have an ergonomic grip. I have found that the RCBS works the best. I realize they want to keep them cheap but it seems if they would make the handle flexible (like the clay throwers) it would be more efficient.
My process is pull the lounge chair to the front of the garage. Arrange rounds, buckets, and cooler for easy access. The lounge chair is close to the ground and is just right for a level smack. When you miss the ground, go in the house.

chris in va

I just use it on concrete. Wood absorbs impact too much and takes a couple extra hits. The idea is for the puller to stop suddenly while the bullet keeps going...

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Interesting. I almost wonder if the Berry's model might work a little better. It looks to me like that handle is less likely to flex. It seems like flex might slow the deceleration that makes them work. Probably a mute point either way. I have a Frankford Arsenal hammer and it works fine. The weight (momentum) of the bullet makes a big difference. Let me tell you, pulling .204 ammo is not fun. That takes a LOT of hits. A LOT. 180gr 10mm comes out in a couple fairly gentle taps. 32gr 204, I swear I beat on the thing for 15 minutes.

FrankenMauser

Let me tell you, pulling .204 ammo is not fun. That takes a LOT of hits. A LOT. 180gr 10mm comes out in a couple fairly gentle taps. 32gr 204, I swear I beat on the thing for 15 minutes.

I know your pain. 40 gr pills with high neck tension in a .220 Swift often results in a complete failure to pull. ...There's a reason I bought a Cam-Lock puller. ;)

wncchester

There are valid reasons for having both collet and impact pullers on every loader's bench but the most versatile the impact type. I'm on my third one now, in 46 + years of loading, and prefer my new Berry's. (Just try pulling short bullets of any kind with a collet!)

FrankenMauser

Oh, I'm not arguing that the collet puller is the greatest invention, in the history of man (as people often accuse me of doing).

The impact/inertial puller is the most versatile, and the cheapest. Every reloader should have one.

Probably 99% of loads can be pulled with an inertial puller.
It's that 1% that kills you, though. That (or when you are given a large number of untrusted cartridges) is when the collet puller is extremely nice to have. ;)

NWPilgrim

I wonder when that RCBS green puller was made? I just checked the RCBS website and the one they currently display is the same design (solid plastic and no metal) as the RCBS puller I bought in 1988 and still use today. Except the impact head on mine is a tad mushroomed. I also only hit on concrete.

09415.jpg

I have a Frankford puller with the metal handle (have no idea how I came to have it) and do not like it for some reason. The all plastic RCBS puller feels more bouncy and I believe it is the sharp ounce back that helps pull the bullet.

FrankenMauser

I have a Frankford puller with the metal handle (have no idea how I came to have it) and do not like it for some reason. The all plastic RCBS puller feels more bouncy and I believe it is the sharp ounce back that helps pull the bullet.

There are still a few of the old RCBS pullers in my family, that have the metal handle (seemingly identical to the FA version).

I prefer the "new", all-plastic version, as well.

Stargazer

I wonder when that RCBS green puller was made? I just checked the RCBS website and the one they currently display is the same design (solid plastic and no metal) as the RCBS puller I bought in 1988 and still use today. Except the impact head on mine is a tad mushroomed. I also only hit on concrete.

I have one of these as well, green and all plastic. I only have one collet and I think it came that way with just one. I always hit on heavy metal myself, the press area that is exposed or if in the garage doing a bunch of rounds the vise flat section works great. You can use a regular single stage press shellholder to hold the cases and it is faster to do multiple rounds than using the collet. Problem is if the bullets need a lot of impacts it can damage the rim some. If you are just after the bullets and powder though the shellholder is the way to go.