Questions regarding Glock G19 regarding trigger pull weight and sights

SnubbyMan

I don't have a Glock in my collection. I want to add one. I'm pretty sure I want the G19.

I mostly shoot S&W revolvers in double-action mode. I don't have a trigger pull weight scale, but it is my understanding in DA mode, the trigger pull is often around 12-14 pounds for an untuned revolver.

I would like to start off with a slightly heavier trigger pull on my new Glock--especially as I get acquainted with it. My understanding is that the "approved" combinations for a heavier pull would be the standard 5 pound connector with either the NY1 or NY2 trigger springs. The 8 pound connector from what I have read is not to be used with the NY triggers. So the NY1 would yield an approximate 8 pound trigger pull weight, while the NY2 would yield an approximate 12 pound trigger pull weight.

So, if I shoot comfortably with the 12-14 pound DA trigger pull weight of S&W revolvers, should I be starting with the NY2 spring? It seems like very few people use the NY2 spring unless they're forced to. Is it really that difficult to shoot accurately with the NY2?

Finally, can someone please tell me what all the different factory sights are? What's most suitable for a purely "combat" gun? The fixed metal sights? I'm assuming that they can be changed to anything else later, if desired.

Thanks for the help.

Zekewolf

I can't imagine that a heavier trigger pull on any pistol would be as accurate as a lighter pull, within reason. Unless you have a spastic trigger finger, you shouldn't have any problems at all with the factory Glock 5# connector, with the factory coil trigger spring. On the other hand, if you live in NY, then perhaps you should try the NY spring. :)

Seriously, the "standard" Glock trigger is easily managed, even by a handgun novice. It's not a "hair trigger."

LegendF1

I'd shoot one out the box before you make any changes to it. My Glock 19 is just as it came from Smyrna, with the 5.5 lbs trigger. I've never shot one with the 3.5 lbs connector or the NY1 or 2 triggers, so I'm in no position to tell you how those are. I can say that the Glock trigger is kinda single action-ish, in the regard that it has a relatively short travel compared to a "conventional" DA/SA or DAO autoloader, like a Sig, Beretta, Ruger, etc.

I've only seen three different types of sights from the factory on Glocks. A U-notch outline rear and dot front, these are the often malaligned plastic sights. My daily carry 19 has these, and I haven't lost one yet. I think there's a two dot rear/one dot front style sight too. Glock also offers a factory night sight, but I'm unsure who makes these. I had these too on another G19 I owned. Those are metal, with two dots in the rear and one in the front. Then there's an adjustible rear sight that I've seen mostly on the long slide models.

Handy

I highly recommend the NY1. It increases the DA take up portion a tad, and makes the sear break a little crisper. It is wholely controllable and doesn't change the essential character of the trigger pull.

Some people like to combine the NY1 with 3.5 connector to get more of a Kahr feel.

The best thing about the NY1 trigger is that it takes out the component most likely to fail in a Glock: The trigger spring. I've seen two break, and have heard of alot more.

Mr.629

I carried a G-27 for sometime with the NY2 and 5lb connector. I too came from a DA revolver background and felt I was at no disadvantage whatsoever with the heavy Glock trigger. It def made it feel a more DA like. I felt more comfortable and accuracy was not at all comprimised. On the same gun I also used pre-Slant Pro Heinie sights (non tritium). Actually, of all sights I have used, these were my favorite. Easy to see and pretty snag free.

As a matter of fact, the next Glock I own will have the exact same configuration.....it's good stuff.

blades67

I have 3.5 pound connectors in all of my Glocks. I also have a competition trigger spring and reduced power striker spring in my 17 that I've started using as my "fun gun" at Tues. Night Steel. Very light trigger with excellent accuracy. I also have Hi-Vis front sights on all of my Glocks as well.

fwcofficer

I have the Ghost Rocket 3.5 (www.ghostinc.com) in my 19 and it is a world of improvement. Its crisp right to the break, and there is no overtravel, and the reset, well thats my favorite part because the reset is extremely short. The trigger is a little light for my standards, so I am thinking of getting a NY1 trigger spring to bring it up to 5 pounds.