Questions Re: Sig 239 in .357

stevetuna

Here I am, stuck in the evil People's Republik of Mass., where the screwy gun laws would cause me to have a lot of 'splainin to do if I ever used my Glock 19 or 26 in self-defense. The 26 is my current carry gun as, all things considered, I'd much rather do the 'splainin than be put on the slab. So...

I CAN purchase a Sig 239 in this state (go figure...). I was at my favorite gun store the other day and was checking one out - very nice! I'd most likely move to the .357, which gives me the option of going to the .40 if I pick up another barrel. I have a Sig 226 that I shoot very well. It's just way too big for concealed carry in the summer. The DA / SA thing doesn't work me up too much. So here's the questions:

How bad is the muzzle flip with the 239 with .357?

I like IWB holsters and there are some great ones for the Glocks. Do the 239's have some good options as well?

What load do you suggest for the .357 Sig? Am I being goofy thinking I should move to the .357 instead of a 9mm +P?

Anything else I'm not thinking about that maybe I should be?

I wouldn't want to find myself on the wrong side of my state's gun laws, even if I feel that they're unconstitutional and idiotic. This has been nagging at me for a while. Plus, the next gun is always the best gun, right? :cool:

Thanks in advance for your suggestions, folks!

Rodman

hey man, im from Mass too. i am living down here in hot as florida though for the moment. anyways i have both sig 239s, one in 9mm, and the other in .357 sig, i have the 40 barrel for it too. i like that you can shoot 3 calibers out of the .357 sig or 40 gun, you can buy a 9mm barrel from Barsto barrel, have 3 calibers in one. anyways the .357 sig has about the same kick as a 40, more muzzle flash and more noise. its snappy, its not bad at all though, easy to handle. the ammo is mucho dollars though. i would go for it though, try it out if you dont like it, email me i would love to buy another one, lol. hope that helps you out alittle.

Swamp Yankee

P239 in .357 Sig is a great little pistol. I had one and traded it on a P229 in .357 Sig. Not that I didn't like the P239, I felt the P229 was a better platform for the .357 Sig.
Expect a good muzzle blast and flash from the P239. Recoil and muzzle flip are not bad, but you will know a bullet has departed the barrel. After the first couple of boxes through my P239 I installed a set of Houge Monogrips. These grips definately improved the way the gun shot and handled. The P239 I had was typical Sig, reliable never a jam or ftf 100% reliable. The only negative comment I have on the P239 is the slide finish showed holster wear very quickly but the gun did not rust or corrode.
As to carry ammo I believe the Speer Gold Dot JHP was the concenus favorite here on TFL.
Holsters, try www.donhume.com Good stuff reasonably priced.
Take Care

J.R. Bob Dobbs

I love my 239/357; it's my favorite carry gun. I shoot it more accurately than any other pistol I own. Recoil is very comperable to a G26 with +p loads (I've shot both back-to-back). Not a single failure yet, thru about 800 rds. Alessi makes an excellent IWB holster for it. Can't say enough good about that pistol.

KEN CHAVEZ

I bought a Sig P-239 in .40S&W, and then later on bought the .357Sig barrel. I can not say enough good things about the P-239, it is just one heck of a great gun!
I personaly don't think the .357Sig has any more recoil then the .40S&W, and out of the P239 I don't think the recoil is much with either .357Sig or .40S&W. :)

stevetuna

Thanks for your replies, folks. Swamp Yankee - it's interesting that you mentioned the grip - that was the only thing I didn't like but knew that this problem could be quickly solved. I've got to believe you've got me sold, guys! Again, thanks.