Questions on Alliant Promo

VHinch

I got a good deal on a keg of Promo recently, so I'm venturing into the bulk powder arena, and have a few questions.

For starters, I have been reloading for several years now, all for handguns and almost exclusively for .45, using mostly Bullseye and some Red Dot. I shoot an average of 1k rounds a month, so my reloading is geared toward production, not precision.

I know that Promo is loaded using Red Dot data by weight, and I have plenty of historical data for my guns using Red Dot. My normal load using Red Dot is 4.8-5.0 gr behind a 230gr RNL bullet, so I want to start at around 4.5 gr of Promo and work up. My question is, since Promo is a flake powder, will all of my charges have to be individually weighed? I found a powder measure setting that should throw 4.5 gr of Promo, and threw 50 charges. They all came in between 4.4 and 4.8 gr, with the vast majority being 4.6 or 4.7.

The way I see it, there are two ways to look at this. One is Promo is just not going to throw consistent charges so I'll have to weigh every charge. The other is don't be overly concerned with it, as all the charges are still well within normal limits.

Am I overthinking this?

Last edited:

Jim Watson

For MY use, I find the same sort of powder charge variation with 700X to not be a problem.

What do you mean by "blended?"

EmptyHull

I've used Promo for a few years now and never had an issue with it. Maybe a tenth either way. I have just started reloading pistols again, after 30 years, and just made a load of 250 gr LRNFP with a Wolf LP primer( all I could find ) and 5.5 gr of Promo. I called Alliant and they said any load between 5-6 should be ok. My Lyman book shows Red Dot recipe is 4.5 to 6.5 gr and you use the weight with Promo powder. I'll let ya know how the Promo shoots. Tim

FM12

Loadand go. Don'y worry about .1-.5 grain differences in handgun. YMMV, but i dout it, FM12

EmptyHull

I am thinking about reducing the load to an even 5 grs of Promo for less recoil. I guess I am going backwards with this recipe.;) Tim