Questions for the Advanced Colt Collector

Lurch37

I recently purchased a supposedly as new in the box Colt Trooper. The pistol has the electroless finish and black rubber Pachmayr grips. My questions concerns cleaning it up for storage.

My normal practice with guns I plan to store, is too clean them thoroughly, and then store them. This particular piece has 3 alternating burn rings on the cylinder face which I was told are from factory test firing. The rings are on every other hole and other than that it looks to be unfired.

Do these burn rings represent factory firing only? Did Colt only test fire every other cylinder? Would one be wise to leave the rings there for collectability? I may be all wet as I'm more of a Colt 1911 fan and know little about the revolver side of collecting.

Thoughts?

Tom2

Well I suppose if it were fired by someone besides Colt it would not skip chambers like that, but I think that is tacky for them to send out dirty or blemished guns to customers. I would clean them and also inspect the chambers and bore, they might need cleaning too. I have gotten new guns from Colt with rust in the bores. One so bad that I took it back for a refund.

RickB

The rings on the cylinder are probably not going to easily "clean", and you may damage the finish trying to remove them. Any revolver that's been fired will have those rings, or you wouldn't be able to tell a fired revolver from one that's unfired.

shortwave

i would try cleaning them if it where mine. agree with Tom2. also i`ve found 'slick 50' in the spray can to be great for keeping collector peice well oiled for storage. goodluck:)

Lurch37

Great ideas guys, and I appreciate them. As is on some of my 1911's, that electroless finish is very easy to scratch and I don't want to screw that up for sure. I might test a small area using some lead away cloth and see if that takes it off.

From what I am hearing, this is not the way these older Troopers were sent out from the factory.

rugersp101

There is a safe wadding polish called Never Dull that takes the rings immediately off without any damage whatsoever to the finish of stainless steel. It is available at places like walmart and the like.

Rampant_Colt

that is saweeeeet!
wanna trade?

troopermk3jo3.jpg

ps - nice pics

Dfariswheel

You bought this as a collectible "Brand new in the box" Colt.
If you clean off the factory test firing rings on the cylinder, the gun is no longer "Brand new".

Brand new in the box MEANS just that, new, unfired (outside of factory proof firing), and UN-tampered with.

stevieboy

I use a little J & B Bore Compound on a cotton swab to wipe off carbon rings on the cylinders of my stainless revolvers. That, plus a little work with a bronze brush followed by a wipedown with a solvent soaked swab, makes the stainless finish look like new. But DON'T do this with a blued surface, my experience has been that even a very mild abrasive like J & B will take the blue right off.

Lurch37

If you clean off the factory test firing rings on the cylinder, the gun is no longer "Brand new".

One of my original questions was if these rings were present from factory test firing. Are you saying that this is the way Colt test fired revolvers? If so I will leave them alone.

Master Blaster

Yes keep it unfired and unturned, that way when you die your wife, kids or heirs will be able to sell it and get top dollar.

This is why I dont buy colts, too many I see are unturned and go for ridiculous collector prices.

Some folks actually buy guns to shoot while they are alive. If you buy an old classic smith you can shoot it lots, and then when your heirs sell it they will still get more than you paid for it.

Lurch37

Thank you Mr. Dfariswheel, I would have never guessed. I appreciate your information and will leave it as is.