questions for california ffls dealers

UltimaSE

I am in the process of purchasing a sig 220 and a winchester model 70. The ffl that I called to do the transfer initially told me that the transfer would be $35 with the dros fee included. Since this was a ffl dealer for a club this sounded great, so I had both sent to him.

When I called to inquire about the sig's arrival I was somewhat shocked when the ffl then told me that he also had a $30 handling fee and that the state reg and transfer had changed to being $25. When I inquired as to how much the total would be for me to finish recieving the sig I was told about $87. Seeing as this didn't add up to me I inquired as to why.

Now here's my question, I can't say I'm happy about the ffl hiding the handling fee, but the ffl has also informed me that I am also to pay state tax on the winchester and the sig and his services. I'm somewhat confused about this. I purchased the sig from a pawn shop in arizona and sent the money order directly to them. The winchester was a private party sale, but the party does have an ffl.

I had previously thought that since the firearms were purchased outside of the state, then state tax does not apply? I thought that if I had the ffl order a firearm for me from another shop that then that would be transfering a firearm from that shops inventory to the ffl's inventory, then he would be selling the firearm from his inventory and then charge tax on it. But with a out of state transfer I am at a loss...

Anyone have an explaination? I know I found a great deal on both the sig and the winchester, but the deal is starting to turn a little sour since I'm going to be paying close to $200 for the transfer alone.

Other ffls welcome to try to answer, but I'm guessing that prk's laws are going to be stiffer than most.

Thanks in advance,
UltimaSE

Aerodog

You are required to pay the USE tax directly to the state of California, not to the FFL. The FFL is only transfering the weapons, not selling you the weapons. Just remember to pay those USE taxes with your state return next April (yeah, right).

You are being ripped off.

UltimaSE

hmm anyone know where specifically to contact for some documentation about this?

I get the feeling this ffl dealer isn't trying to rip me off, but I am understandably upset since I payed him the tax on a norinco and a colt king cobra a few months ago that and this new $30 charge for handling, I just think that he really doesn't quite know what's going on. However for me to just come out and say that he's wrong is going to put me on the wrong foot, but if I can find some documentation to show him then I think he'd understand.

I've already written an email to the local a t f branch asking for some information and another ffl has told me to try to give the state franchise tax board a call regarding this matter. Anyone have any other sources that might help me?

Thanks,
UltimaSE

CWL

I would recommend that you take the hit and never go back to him. He may not be ripping you off, but it does sound like he's trying to make a few extra bucks. Take your business to another FFL.

What area do you live in CA? I have two FFLS nearby that can handle everything & won't leave you feeling raped for only $40 incl FFL-DROS fee. I haven't had to pay State sales taxes either. I also didn't pay taxes at my local shooting range when they handled a private-party transfer, all for $25.

TekChef

welcome to the wonderfull world of dealing with california FFLs. there are the few that will do transfers for $30-40 total.
However, most are charging what you just described and more. They cannot compete with the prices from the web, etc...and to make up for their losses, are bleeding us, the gunowners.
I do understand that it is very hard to make money in this area of retail, but I also have to say this..
Welcome to the capitalist competition market!!!!!

Because of what you are describing, I have been trying to trade a Sig P220 two tone for some time with no luck becuase of the insane charges the FFLs are tagging on. Heck..in my local area, the only ones who take a shipped in gun want DROS +10% of the gun's new value(no matter if the gun is used or not) at what they sell it at!!!! Transfering in even a ruger GP-100 will run me about $80.