Questions about the Compact Polymer Baby Eagle

Wheel-Gunner

I am just a little curious about the Baby Eagle. As far as I can tell, there seems to be two different models. There is a steel Baby Eagle and there is a polymer Baby Eagle. I would be interested in the polymer one because it looks to be quite a bit smaller and would probably be better for concealed carry.

I was hoping to get a little more info about the polymer Baby Eagle. Magnum Research's website is not very detailed. I would like to know the specific measurements of this pistol as well as how reliable it is. Does anyone have any first accounts regarding this firearm? I would love to hold and fire one, but they seem to be a little rare. I like the fact that it has a decocker safety as well. Anyways, any insight would be helpful. Also, Would there be issues with finding suitable holsters and such for a gun that is seemingly rare? Your comments are appreciated!

Wheel-Gunner

Just to be clear, here is the polymer Baby Eagle:

jericho06.jpg

And here is the other Baby Eagle:

jericho03b.jpg

You'll have to excuse the pictures, they were the largest I could find online.

As you can see, the polymer one looks more compact and would be better suited for concealment. Interestingly enough, the polymer pictured looks like it has a manual safety instead of the usual decocker safety. I didn't realize they came in a manual safety, every other picture I have seen shows a decocker model.

There has to be someone around here that can give some insight, whether it be an owner, previous owner, or even a gun shop worker who has sold them. C'mon guys, chime in and help us out.

LUPUS

Before buying one, handle and shoot if possible, because the rear part of the polymer framed Tanfolio / IMI pistols hurts the arc of the hand and the first finger of the shooting hand, especially when shooting with hands-forward technique.
Other than that, I can give any negative comments about the pistol.
Regards.

bluehandgun

i think it is a great looking gun. i held one at a gun show a few weeks ago and now it is on my want list.

i have read reviews and most seem pretty positive, the one thing that worries me is the finish, some say the slide scratches easy and the black finish comes off? this is something i would like some comments on.

Skyguy

I use my semi-compact (3.7 barrel) Baby Eagle .45 pictured below as a truck gun. It's my beater, yet it hangs with the best of the best in every way. It is ultra reliable.
Even when empty at 2 1/2 lbs. it still remains a formidable impact weapon.
DisplayPic.aspx

Below is the MAGNUM RESEARCH Double Action Pistol, Compact Polymer Model Baby
Desert Eagle, 9mm Caliber, 3.5" Barrel, Polymer Frame, Black Finish
DisplayPic.aspx

The baby offers an excellent handgun value and plenty of firepower.
The Baby Eagle features a barrel with polygonal rifling to reduce
barrel wear and enhance contact between the bullet and the bore.
The compact and semi-compact pistols have the same shooting
characteristics as the standard Baby Eagle and are ideal for shooters
with smaller hands.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Caliber: 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP
Action: Double/Single Action
Safety: Ambidextrous Thumb & Decocking Safety
Mag. Capacity: 10 Rounds
Sights: Combat
Barrel Length: Standard-4.72"
Semi-Compact-3.7"
Compact & Compact Polymer-3.5"
Overall Length: Standard-8.25"
Semi-Compact-7.75"
Compact & Compact Polymer-7.25"
Overall Width: 1.125"
Overall Height: Standard & Semi-Compact-5.75"
Compact & Compact Polymer-5"
Weight: Standard-2 lbs 6.6 ozs
Semi-Compact 45-2 lbs 7.8 ozs
Semi-Compact 9mm & 40-2 lbs 4.4 ozs
Compact-2 lbs 1.9 ozs
Compact Polymer-1 lb 11 ozs
Grips: Black Anatomically Molded High-Impact Nylon
3.75"-Standard & Semi-Compact
3.25"-Compact & Compact Polymer
Finish: Black
Material: Steel; Compact Polymer has Polymer Frame

BabyEagle40

The polymer Baby Eagle has a decocker as well. The first picture that was posted in this thread was of the Jericho, the one sold only in Israel. I can't offer much into how it shoots, but I didn't like the feel of the polymer one when I held it at the store. Then again, I hate polymer guns. The steel one was molded for my hand. In fact, I might be buying the all steel compact in 40 later this year. :D If the polymer one shoots half as good as the steel one, you are buying a gem. Can't beat the price either.

Colangm

Baby Desert Eagle (polymer)

First of all, this is not a review but more what I think is an obligation to share what I would want to know before buying the latest generation of BDE Jericho polymer pistols. These guns*are back in circulation with no*recent user insight about these guns online. So, i hope this helps anyone considering buying to at least weigh in this post. As fyi, I own 18 handguns and shoot between 300-500 rd's a week. I take care of all my guns. Ok, now i'll get to the point.

I have bragged on these weapons for the last 3 years, and considered my 40 my go-to firearm for a few typical reasons I'll mention below. But after buying the 9mm version so I could lower my cost of shooting, the trigger assemblies on both my BDE's broke within a 6 week period. I don't know the component parts that broke, but the 40 trigger didn't reset after a shot, and a very small circular piece of metal fell out. The 9mm was a different issue, where the trigger became loose from side to side. The undeniable positives about the guns: eats any ammo, as accurate as any, glock-speed breakdown, good grips, and nice balance.

Magnum Research fixed both within 30 days and at no cost even though the 40 was 3 years old. Even so, I had to find replacements with a tried & true history of reliability and durability. The all steel versions of BDE's may have this, but I would wait for the polymer series to develop a similar track record. For what it's worth, I decided on H&K P30's (P30L 9mm, P30 40 LEM) and a Sig P228.*

jcscofie

thanks on the trigger info Colangm

... just bought a Baby Eagle II .40 semi-compact .... have had it to the range once ... only put about 100 rounds through it .... No cons on the gun yet ... I'll watch for trigger issues ... Pros ... I love the way this feels in my hands (but I do have big hands ... and would like to find a grip that would make it just a bit bigger) ... shoots straight ... super easy take-down ... really tightly made gun .... it is the poly version ... If anyone knows where to find a form-fitting holster ... and some aftermarket grips that would fit ... holler!

jcscofie

Still no complaints

Second time out shooting my Baby Desert Eagle II polymer 40SW semi-compact (3.93 inch barrel) ... another 100 rounds - Not an issue ... shoots straight ... no feed issues ... feels fantastic in my hand ... I am wishing the DA trigger pull was a little shorter ... SA pull is great! BUT - I handed the Baby and a clip of 12 rounds to my buddy in the next booth ... it stove-piped for him on the second round ... which he cleared then it stove-piped for him again on the second round .... he handed the gun to me ... and I rapid fired the remaining 9 rounds without an issue ... I think he must have limp-wristed it ....

iamdb

I can't speak on the polymer but I have 2 all steel Jericho's in 9mm (actually recently gave one to my brother in law). Most accurte gun i own. I have never had a problem with either one in thousands of rounds. They are one my favorite range guns. Too large and heavy for concealed carry but shoot like a laser with virtually no recoil. I think they are actually superior to the CZ 75. I believe each one is hand fit slide to receiver. Can't say that about the CZ's. Don't get me wrong I am not saying anything bad about CZ, but having owned both, I only have the Jericho's now. I traded a 45-70 Marlin with a busnell scope for both Jericho's. I think I made out like a bandit.