Questions about Taurus Model 80

dallasconundrum

Hi guys, today I stopped by a pawn shop to check out what they had in stock. Ended up picking up a S&W Model 10-14, but that is beside the point. They had a Taurus Model 80 (.38 Special) that I am just a little interested in. You see, I am looking for something to carry in the woods with me when I am just kinda piddling around out there. Where I live the .38 should be perfectly adequate for this (no bears or anything of that nature). Also though, I want a gun that I don't have too much invested in.

Anyway this Taurus seems to fit the bill. Not too expensive, and I do not fear that I will get too attached to it. (I am weird about that I guess, for going out in the woods I just can't bring myself to take my beautiful Smiths, especially the blued ones). Don't get me wrong they aren't all safe-queens, but I generally shoot them at the range or in a field. The Taurus has a 4 inch barrel, and appears to be pretty old. The owner said that it was SS, but he didn't really know, and to me it appeared to be nickel. I understand some of the earlier ones were. The gun locked up tight and doesn't appear to have been abused or even really shot that much.

Finally to the questions. They are general really...do any of you have one of these? If so, are they fairly accurate and reliable? And I guess just any other observations you can give me about them as I know nothing of them really.

Thanks in advance.