Questions about starting a range in SC

copenhagen

I've been toying with this idea, just wanted to see if anyone has any input. I haven't been able to really read into the laws, b/c I couldn't find them, but I want to see if anyone has experience in this area.

My father owns 46 acres in rural SC- it is a perfect place to build a public range w/natural backstop etc. I want to build a rifle range that goes out to 1000 yards, and a few out door pistol ranges. My goal is to get an FFL and sell firearms and have demo models of all our most popular that you can try out on the rifle range before deciding on your purchase.

Does anyone know what exactly I need to begin researching and who I need to talk to to make my 'Outdoors Emporium' a reality someday?

Casimer

+1 on contacting that NRA - they have advisors who can help you with planning and other issues.

If you're interested in building a larger range, such as 1000yds, you should also contact Dick Whiting. I think that Dick had developed many of the materials for the NRA.

Dick Whiting
PO Box 4538
Bridgeport, WV 26330
304-842-9035

You can find his info here..
http://www.rangeinfo.org/

He's extremely knowledgeable, well contected, and very interested in seeing to it that new ranges are developed in the US.

jwxspoon

There are some additional issues related to DHEC in South Carolina as well that are related to lead contamination. Can't remember them all off the top of my head but I know one rule in particular requires 'sifting' of the berm for old lead on a very regular basis - this can get expensive. Also, better have good insurance.

jw

yomama

Get local support to. This will help. And go for it!!! Don't get discouraged, it will be hard, but worth it!

copenhagen

Well, I have about 2 and a half years before I can actually begin real physical labor on this idea, but I'm just trying to get all my ducks lined up first. It is possible I am sure, but I am also sure it is the best if I have the major bureaucratic mumbo jumbo hurtles cleared out of the way 1st. Thanks again for the input. Wow JW, sifting for lead? That sounds like something they'd make you do in California!

Casimer

That's the right attitude. Get your ducks in a row beforehand. It's quite possible that you're going to have to adapt the design and infrastructure of your range to suit regulatory requirements and those of various authorities. This is why it's useful to speak with experts. They'll be familiar with the process and can help you design and present your plans effectively.

The only other thing that I'd advise would be to do your research before you start promoting the range to local government or even in your community. Once you start talking about it, people are going to have questions and may want you to make commitments that you're not ready to make.

oldcspsarge

Shooting Range Info

Also contact the National Shooting Sports Foundation and get info from NASR...National Association of Shooting Ranges from NSSF.

Lots of helpful facts on been there/done that type stuff to consider.

NRA offers a week long range developement course which gives you the big picture on how to plan and what to expect.:cool:

Good Luck !