Questions about Saiga...

robc

I have a new Saiga in 7.62.

Can I dry-fire this gun?

Should the bolt hold open on the last round? Mine does not.

What's the cheapest butt-stock/pistolgrip package I can buy for the conversion?

Thanks for any help.

Yithian

You can dry fire it, but limit it as much as possible.
If you take out the bolt from the bolt carrier, you will see the face of the firing pin, it is just a small piece of flat metal, and you are hitting it on its edge.

The bolt hold open is manual. Some ranges require the use of a hold open so they added it as a selling feature.
Most aftermarket magazines; all for the Saiga, have the feature for a bolt hold open after the last round.
If that is the feature you want, then just buy an American made Saiga replacement magazine.

Look around, there are several versions of stock sets available.
Many are quite cheap to buy. Less than $100 is common for simple sets.
There is even an adapter that can be purchased so any AR stock can be used on your AK. Going that route, you can use the empty recoil buffer tube as storage space, or to add a damper.

Google is your friend.

billindenver

Every empty magazine since the invention of the AK has resulted in a dry fire...the only way you know you are empty is when the firing pin falls on nothing. Therefore, I seriously doubt dry firing them does any damage...otherwise most of them would not work.

Just my opinion.....worth what you paid for it.

Crosshair

Probably not going to hurt it since Mr. Kalashnikov designed the AK-47 with durability as the #1 design priority.

Still, I try to minimize the amount of dry firing I do.

Yithian

+1 Crosshair

As far as plain AK mags, they don't fit the Saiga. There needs to be a modifcation made to either the rifle or the clip for them to work.