Questions about Remington 6-1/2 Primers

PJR

At a gun auction I successfully bid on an assortment of reloading components. Among the lot were 2 thousand Remington 6-1/2 primers. When I checked the manuals the only loads for them were for the .22 Hornet. My questions are:

What is it about this particular primer that restricts it to just that one cartridge or class of cartridges?

What other cartridges can it be used for?

Can it be used in other small rifle calibers such as .222, .223, 6mPPC, etc.?

I will NOT buy a .22 Hornet simply because I have 2 thousand primers.

Although, I've always liked those little Anschutz Mannlichers, particularly with double set triggers and it would be a handly little pest rifle on the farm and I've got this Leupold 2.5x scope that isn't currently occupied.

Hmmmm.... ;)

Seriously, any help on my questions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Paul

300winguy

Rem 6 1/2

I use Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primers in my .223 case. They work very well, my rifle shoots sub-moa groups. I noticed the same thing you noticed, only the hornet is mentioned using the 6 1/2. Not sure why. I accidentally bought 6 1/2's instead of 7 1/2 Benchrest primers but I have been pleased with their functioning.

sricciardelli

I use Remington 6-1/2 primers in the .17 Hornet, .22 Jet, .22 Hornet, .22 K-Hornet, .22 CHeeta, 5.6x35, .22 Carbine, .221 Fireball, .25 Hornet, and .30 Carbine.