questions about my colt saa

jeepster11

I got this colt from my dad a few years ago he bought it new in the late 70s to mid 80s. I'm kind of afraid to shoot it because its so nice it has been shot only 60 rounds total 48 from my dad and 12 from me. Now I reload so I can always make some light loads but still worries me that I may blow it up and some day I hope to pass it on to one of my children if I'm lucky enough to have one some day. What would you do? Would you shoot it or not? Or just keep it as I have the last few years and get it out on occasion to look at it annd put it back in the safe? Here are a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20110316_180722.jpg
    IMG_20110316_180722.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20110316_180712.jpg
    IMG_20110316_180712.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 110

Jim March

Huh. Nice piece :).

First, post-WW2 Colts are not particularly weak. They're not as strong as a Ruger Blackhawk (built on a 44Magnum-class frame) but any standard factory load outside of the 45LC+P monsters (AVOID THOSE!) is fine.

You don't say or show what caliber it is. Likely it's a 45LC. Load data for "standard pressure" will be fine. If you're not careful, trying to do "deliberately low power" ammo can be tricky, because if you mess up you may get a "squib" that farts a projectile halfway down the barrel. Which is fine, until you crank off the NEXT round and then life gets really exciting and expensive, and sometimes painful. If you ever hear or feel a too-mild round, stop, take the cylinder out, shine a flashlight in the back of the barrel, look in the front. If you don't see light, whoops...you're not screwed yet. Use a WOOD or PLASTIC dowel rod to push the bullet out with light hammering on the rod. NO METAL RODS! Not even an aluminum or brass cleaning rod.

The tricky part with a nickel gun like that is knowing what cleaning products to use or avoid. I don't know the full details but some cleaning chemicals can attack the finish. I've never owned a nickel gun so I don't have that info on the top of my head.

jeepster11

thanks

Jim yes it is a 45 colt. I wouldn't load it that low as squib loads suck. When I first started loading I had a couple in my 460 and after the learning curve I was good.

Andrewh

due to the popularity of cowboy action shooting, there are plenty of factory lower powered 45 colt rounds out there, so if you are worried about reloading a bad one, or regular power rounds, there are plenty of factory items to pick from.

Guessing based on the dates it is a second gen SAA. Shot once or 1000 times is used, so no big deal taking it out again.

IF the nickle finish is the same as the 1911's of the time, as I understand it, you need to keep away copper solvents, as the base metal under the nickle is copper and it will cause it to disolve and the finish will peel away. someone will come and correct me if I am wrong.

aarondhgraham

Don't use Hoppe's #9,,,

I've been told by several smiths that Hoppe's is one agent that will attack the copper under most nickel plated guns.

Aarond

AlanS

Very nice looking SAA! The pearl grips go very nicely with the nickel finish.

Late '70s to mid '80s would make this a 3rd gen gun. Serial number would help to date it. As far as shooting it goes, I would if I were you. As AndrewH said, shot once or 1000 times, used is used as long as overall condition doesn't suffer. And since you're planning on passing it down and not selling it, value is really more of a sentimental aspect than a hard dollar number. Enjoy the gun while you have it, and don't worry about messing it up. Any standard load should be fine.

Hope that helps,
Alan

jeepster11

well

im very capable of reloading so i am pretty sure i will not blow it up. its mainly because i got it from my dad and i would like to keep it in near new condition. oh and i forgot to mention if you know the western shane well i am named after it my dads favorite western. it was a bet between him and his cousins who ever had the first born son would name them after their favorite western cowboy. i dont mind to shoot it i just dont want to break it as i have plenty of others to shoot. thanks for all your replies

DPris

Member Emeritus
The gun is plenty strong enough to be fired with modern smokeless loads running as high as a 250-grainer at 1000 FPS. Not exceeding 900 would be easier on it & still come very close to the power of the original BP loads.

Pay attention to your reloads, if those are what you're worried about, and shoot it all you want.
Otherwise, standard factory stuff (EXCLUDING THINGS LIKE CORBON and/or anything labeled +P) by Remington, Winchester, Speer, etc. will all be safe in the gun.

Denis

Ideal Tool

Hello, Jeepster11. Go ahead and enjoy it! The guy that buys it from your widow probably will throw it behind his pickup seat! Don't be afraid of Hoppe's, the instructions say..Do not soak parts..so as long as you don't give it a bath in the stuff, & dry patch wipe down, you'll be fine. I used to be very heavy in IHMSA. Used a Smith 8 3/8" 57 .41 mag. I figured I put over two TONS of lead bullets thru that gun..not counting the jacketed loads I used on turkeys and rams... 30 years later..100% nickle finish.

jeepster11

i may have to

take it out to one of those cowboy shoots sometime to see how it does i guess you all talked me into it lol

DPris

Member Emeritus
Just FYI, the cowboy shoots require two handguns, a shotgun, and a pistol-calibered levergun to go through the various stages.
You can usually borrow a gun or two from others there (a friendly bunch) if you're getting started or exploring possibilities. Not trying to talk you out of it, just advising that showing up with one gun won't give you much of a full picture. :)
Denis

claydoctor

All I can say is that the OP's concerns about blowing up a gun that was made in the 70's-80's, really made me feel old.

rclark

Just shoot it. That's why it was produced in the first place! :) .

concerns about blowing up a gun that was made in the 70's-80's, really made me feel old.
.... tell me about it! :eek: . Maybe he was referring to the 1870s and 1880s' ;) .