Questions about endshake

VictorLouis

I've searched the few threads here that mention it. I've always been aware of shimming as a corrective measure; but, I understand that the crane can also be stretched to an extent. A smith I spoke with said that he only believes in the latter method, as the shims themselves are not properly hardened for lasting results. Is there any truth to that?

Can one truly judge a problem simply by the fore-and-aft movement of the empty cylinder? What is the proper procedure to determine it? Barrel to cylinder gap is measured by inserting several empties, then measuring the gap with a feeler gauge. Do you hold that gauge in place at the front of the cylinder, then place a second gauge between the breechface and the case rims?

Shims are a perfectly acceptable way of addressing endshake.

While the shims may not be hardened, they actually take very little stress, can be easily replaced if needed, and are very easy to install.

Curing endshake by stretching the cylinder axis pin (not sure if that's the proper name, but that's what I call it) is a more exact solution, and probably also a slightly more durable solution.

But, it's also much more time consuming, a LOT more expensive, and a lot more exacting. If the smith, or you, don't know what you're doing and aren't careful, you can ruin the part.

There are gauges to measure endshake, but I'm not certain how they're used.