Questions about Charles Daly DDA 45 (Attn: Railroader, Tropical Z, StratfordHoldings)

November

I'm interested in this pistol and had a few questions for anyone who owns one.

-Is it true this pistol can be carried cocked and locked OR double-action first shot?

-Who sells new factory mags with the extended baseplate for the full-size model?

-Do Para-Ord double-stack .45 mags work in this pistol? (I ask because this pistol uses the BUL m-5 mag which is a double-stack 1911-based gun)

-How has reliability been?

Thanks for any replies.

Tropical Z

1. Yes it can be carried cocked and locked and is a traditional DA/SA.
2.I got my mags from CDNN and have one of the flat baseplates and one with the extended baseplate.Both are very nice mags and i 'm glad i have one of each.
3.I have no idea if Para-Ordnance mags work in the DDA.Perhaps an e-mail to Charles Daly would answer that ?
4.My initial outing using Wolf was troublesome in that some rounds would slide at a 60* angle into the chamber area and would not enter the barrel.I posted about this problem and was given the fix.Disassemble the mags and sandpaper the follower a little bit.After this the gun is great and i firmly believe that it is a steal for the price!
BUL makes very high quality guns and the DDA is no exception.I think the DDA is one of the most ergonomic handguns being sold today.;)
P.S.read the "which cheap .45" thread.

Reliablity had been kinda iffy for me. It is due to one of two things. I just recently found out that I am not cleaning my gun thoroughly enough.

The problem I am having is that my slide will lock back after a shot or two. Not sure if it's the cleaning or if its the gun itself. I've heard from someone that said it is a manufacturer problem. I haven't fired this gun for about 5-6 months as it has been sitting in the safe.

I will be shooting this gun later this week just to make sure.

I bought some mags but I don't remember when I got them from. I bought them for like $4-5 a piece. It was very inexpensive. I do have 5 spare mags that I haven't used yet so if You want to buy some, that's fine with me.

railroader

The slide on my dda would lock open prematurely with rounds in the mag when I 1st got it. I took out the slide stop spring and put a little more tension on it now it works fine. I shoot ball ammo and 200swc lead bullets. The ball always works and so does the 200swc's as long as I keep the gun fairly clean. As for the mags all my mags are factory dda mags I haven't tried para mags. Mark

November

Thanks everyone for your replies. It sounds like this pistol needs a little TLC in the beginning, but that's fine with me. I t gives me a chance to get to know my gun. StratfordHoldings, are they factory mags with the extended baseplate? If I can find a DDA at the gun show this weekend (or from SOG), maybe I'll take you up on your offer! Thanks again.

I don't think they are factory mags. They say Made in Israel. The factory mag has a shiny SS look. These are black.

One other thing. I have the DDA compact. and the mags are for the compact.