Questions about Beretta Cougar...

DanD

While searching for new Shotshow information, I came across the Beretta International website. On their website, they still listed the Cougar in many variations. They also listed the 92/96 Steel I, which looks surprisingly like the Taurus in the way the controls are on the frame now. Is this new information, or is the U.S. just behind in getting new models/keeping old ones? Or am I behind on technology???

ShootingNut

Cougar

Haven't looked at the Beretta site in a while, but can tell you this much about the Cougar 8000.
Beretta moved all manufacturing of the Cougar, to their subsidiary in Turkey,
Stoeger Industries. Gun comes out looking just like previous made Cougar's,
I have one in 9mm. Great gun, good quality, shoots very well, all for just a little over 300 bucks!;)
Regards,
SN
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/cougar8000.tpl

jlwman

My Cougar is my carry gun. I've only put about 200 rounds through it, but it's flawless in every aspect.

Picture011.jpg

DanD

I think I might have to look into one...the price is good, and everything I have read about them is good. How is the trigger pull?

PointOneSeven

Trigger pull is unremarkable. Maybe that's a good thing. Nothing really stands out. Smooth enough, not really too long, it's just fine really.

KurtC

My normal carry is an 8045D mini-cougar, often on my ankle. Here is a rare 8357D (.357 Sig DAO).

8357D004.jpg

jlwman

I don't think it's heavy. I weighed mine just a minute ago and it weighed in at 2lbs 4oz fully loaded. That's one in the chamber and 14 in the mag.

I also added to my Cougar the finger grips and a "D" spring to lighten the trigger pull. I had to make the finger grips from a pair of Pearce finger grips for a full size 1911. Just did a little trimming with a pair of scissors and you'll get what I have.

jlwman

It's the same here. There is a waiting list at one of my local gun shops for the Cougars. I go up to Cabelas the same day and they had just received a shipment of 20 of them in. I bought it right away. Funny thing was, they had two choices. One with a metal guide rod and one with the polymer guide rod. I went with the metal because I like the added bit of weight it puts up front.

DanD

I wonder if Stoeger will make all of the versions Beretta did...I keep looking at Beretta International's website and wishing/hoping that they would keep making them. But I do like Stoeger's prices! Beretta still has them in their current listing of guns being offered.

monadh

I have one of the Stoeger Cougars and have found it to be a remarkable pistol. There is nothing within $200 that touches it for performance.

MikeGoob

Ive posted about mine before. It shot very differently to my novice hands from my Glock--my first auto pistol

Turns out to be DEAD NUTS accurate. Im really impressed with this thing. So inexpensive and well made too.

Id also love the compact version and the .45 version while im dreaming.