Questions about a marlin 60 22

horatioo

I just bought a new marlin model 60. How accurate is it? I kind of know how accurate it is with me shooting it, not very good, but okay. If someone who is a good shot were shooting it, could he consistently hit a golf ball at 100 yards? How about a penny? How much farther out?

How do I put a sling on it? Do I need to screw a screw into the stock to hold one end of the sling? I want to learn how to shoot using a sling. I think I will take an Appleseed course, but until then want to learn on my on. What is a good brand of sling? Are all slings basically the same?

I have already shot it a couple dozen times and just read on another thread I should have cleaned it when first buying it. Did that hurt the gun any?

Lots of questions, thanks for any answers.

Horatio

Last edited:

justanegg

the marlin 60 is easily golf ball accurate. penny? i would doubt.

NOT all slings are made equal, however, they are not unreasonably priced for the best slings.
i use Quake Claw slings, they are like 30$, never wear out, stick to clothing well, and wash in a river or with a hose.

you didn't hurt the gun by not cleaning it. but you should open it up and clean out all the metal slivers from filing. my marlin 795SS was really full of little specs when i first opened it up.

azredhawk44

Come visit us, Horatioo!

The Marlin 60 will certainly work for an Appleseed, but if you haven't bought one yet then please consider the model 795 instead. The box magazine works better for stages at an appleseed where you work on mag changes during courses of fire.

The 60 and 795 are equally great rifles. Golf ball accurate at 100? Maybe with a really good shooter and really good ammo. That's about 1.25" or so and a pretty demanding target for a $125 rifle and a bulk box of cheap rimfire ammo. You could probably do it with that rifle and a box of CCI stingers or minimags though... Wolf Match or Eley would be good to try as well.

About your prospective rifle: Get some quality sights on it, or a scope (preferably iron sights). Williams makes their adjustable sights for this rifle, or you can get Tech-Sights for it for a bit less. Appleseed will quickly teach you the importance of having control over your sight picture and adjusting point of impact to match, and that isn't very easy to do with the buckhorn open sights that ship with the rifle.

boudreux

Definately golf ball accurate. I took my Marlin 60W out yesterday and shot a 15 shot group of less than 1 inch at 75 yards with Federal Auto Match bulk pack. 325 round with no jams, ftf, etc... i love it