Question @ traveling with two guns.....

seeker_two

I usually keep a 9mm pistol in a gun safe in my truck. I don't have my CHL yet (haven't had time to take the class & can't carry d/t my job....but I plan to get it ASAP). When I travel overnight, I usually pack a pistol in my luggage to keep in the hotel (plus I like having a spare handy). The type of gun I pack varies a lot, but I'm looking to settle for one as my permanent "travel gun". This is where the question comes in.....should I get one in 9mm so that I can use the same ammo in both pistols, or should I pack one in a different caliber (.22lr, .38/.357, .45ACP) so that, in the event of emergency, I have more flexibility in finding ammo?.....

Thanks in advance....

There is merit to both approaches but, considering that 9mm Luger is probably the single most ubiquitous ammunition in the world (other than .22LR), for this scenario I'd say choose a second 9mm.

Deja vu

I am all for keeping your ammo simple. In your case I would go for the second 9mm.

For me its 357 magnum. When traveling, my CCW becomes my travel gun. I all so carry my Coonan 357 magnum automatic some times when traveling.

Jeff45

I would go with a .40 for the travel gun. It has better ballistics and there is a good selection of various type of defensive ammo easily available. A gun that you are accurate with trumps the caliber however.

sgms

The second 9 sounds good to me also if you want a 2nd gun. Although don't think leaving the other in the truck even lock up a real good idea. And maybe you should stop and think what will happen if I have to use one of the pistols? You know darn well some lawyer is going to make the claim that you were packing a pair of guns because you were intending to find trouble and shoot that poor perp. despite the fact he was trying to rob, molest, kill, or whatever you. Any time you use a gun to protect yourself your life will change profoundly, do you really want to give the other side something more to use against you?

MTT TL

so that, in the event of emergency, I have more flexibility in finding ammo?.....

I am trying to picture in my head...

The type of emergency where you would shoot all of your ammo...

And then need to go to the store to buy some more.

:confused:

Can you clear that up for me? It would help with my suggestion for you.

AND

You know darn well some lawyer is going to make the claim that you were packing a pair of guns because you were intending to find trouble and shoot that poor perp.

Has this ever happened ever before, anywhere in the history of the US legal system? Because if the answer is no I would worry about that even less.

KMAX

If you are worried about an emergency of running out of ammo, maybe you need to reconsider where you travel to. I figure a full cylinder and a full box should be enough. If I will need more I don't want to go there. Haha.

TailGator

My thoughts went along the same lines at MTT TL. If your two pistols are in the same caliber, they back each other up in ammo supplies. If you use two calibers, you are cutting the supply for each pistol in half. As for shopping for more ammo, that can wait - and will wait until LE is done with you. And it shouldn't be hard to find 9 mm anyway.

Last edited:

seeker_two

KMAX said:
If you are worried about an emergency of running out of ammo, maybe you need to reconsider where you travel to. I figure a full cylinder and a full box should be enough. If I will need more I don't want to go there. Haha.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a disaster (Katrina/WTC/TN Floods) where I'm away from home & don't have access to the usual supply (Wal-Mart, gun stores, etc.) I want to maximize my ability to scrounge while leaving the area to get back home.

Then again, I could take the approach of Sgt. Maj. Basil Plumley from We Were Soldiers...... "Sir, if the time comes I need one, there'll be plenty lying on the ground. "

KMAX

Good point. Seriously, this time, I believe I would do as mentioned earlier and go with another 9mm. Also 9mm seems to be the most available ammo. I believe a lot of the old west men carried rifles and revolvers of the same caliber so they would only have to pack one kind of ammo. I am trying to narrow down the ammo I need to stock. Got it down to 38 Sp, 357 mag, & 45 acp. Also if one gun fails you can use all the ammo in the other gun. Just my opinion.

MTT TL

I'm thinking more along the lines of a disaster (Katrina/WTC/TN Floods) where I'm away from home & don't have access to the usual supply (Wal-Mart, gun stores, etc.) I want to maximize my ability to scrounge while leaving the area to get back home.

Then again, I could take the approach of Sgt. Maj. Basil Plumley from We Were Soldiers...... "Sir, if the time comes I need one, there'll be plenty lying on the ground. "

I am not sure what "scrounge" means. Are you taking ammo off of dead soldiers? I am pretty sure that is non starter bad plan and illegal. I don't think there was a lot of ammo lying around that was usable during Katrina but I could be wrong.

wayneinFL

I'm traveling right now, working in NC. Two 9mms is exactly what I brought. Beretta 92G for when I can use a full size and a KelTec P11 for pocket carry. 9mm is kinda puny, but a 50 or 100rd box packs well in a suitcase when you're flying.

In a car it's not that big a deal. Throw whatever you want in there. Tuis time of year I usually have a shotgun in the trunk anyway.

wayneinFL

am not sure what "scrounge" means. Are you taking ammo off of dead soldiers? I am pretty sure that is non starter bad plan and illegal. I don't think there was a lot of ammo lying around that was usable during Katrina but I could be wrong

Geez... If it ever gets bad enough there are dead soldiers lying around, who cares if it's legal? Non-starter? Hell, if it's that bad I'm taking a tank if I can figure out how to drive it. :eek: