Question regarding AKs

mooreshawnm

OK I have a MAK90 that I bought way back in college. I had always considered it a Chinese POS. I have been drooling over pics on the web of 'real' AK's (Romanian and Yugo). I went to the gun show today and saw a Romanian AK and was terribly disapointed. Not only was the wood every bit as bad as i have heard described (no biggie...can stain) it felt way lighter and more toyish. The receiver cover felt as though it could be crushed in my hands.

Question 1: Did I see a subpar Romi or is this what I could expect by ordering one online.

Question 2: Are the Yugoslav AKs significantly better? I mean does it actually feel like a tough gun in your hands, as opposed to one that might break if dropped?

Thank You
Shawn

Hedley

All Romies are like that, but they still work. And I wouldn't consider mine fragile in any way. I don't make it a habit of beating the snot out of it, but I'm sure it wouldn't mind being ridden hard and put up wet. For an extra $100 or so, go for the Yugo. Thicker guage receiver, better worksmanship, fit and finish, and a smoother action. And it has dimples! It wasn't "bubba'd" to accept double stack mags like the WASR. The only thing I don't like about the M70 is the lower handguard(Which, correct me if I'm wrong, won't interchange with most after market hg's, whether synthetic or wood) and the grenade sight. The sight looks cool and all, but I need it like I need another hole in my head.

If I had done my research like I should, I wouldn't have bought my WASR. The front sight is canted, the rails aren't alligned properly(causes rough action), and the rear trunion is riveted in cock-eyed. If you take the rear stock off and look at the cross section of the receiver, it's not even remotely square. But it always goes bang, and with a little change of furniture and a once over with a dremel, steel wool, and a can of satin-black, they clean up pretty nice. But the receiver still looks boring and without personality. It's just a flat slab of thin sheet metal without dimples or features.

joshua

Those MAKs are not bat at all, I own two of them and they never failed. If you want the best try the Arsenal AKs, they cost more. josh

mooreshawnm

Yeah after seeing the Romanians I have a new appreciation for my MAK. Thank you Hedley, the thickness of the metal is really what turned me off....everything else I could have fixed myself....now that I know Yugos are sturdier I will order an underfolder on Monday!

Hedley

And one more thing I liked about the M70, was the novel design for the receiver cover release. I've never had my cover fall off, but the idea of adding that feature is pretty cool. It also just fells more substantial. I've never handled the underfolder though, but I just prefer fixed stocks. Have fun!

cheygriz

To me, at least, the Russian and Chinese AKs are the top of the line. The European models are lower quality.

Hedley

Here you go Shawn, a comparo of the M70 and the WASR.
yugocomparell0.jpg

AK103K

To me, at least, the Russian and Chinese AKs are the top of the line. The European models are lower quality.
I agree with cheygriz. The Saiga and Poly Tech AK's have it over the others.

There is nothing wrong with the WASR's and SAR's if you have one that is a shooter. Some of the early guns were not all that great, but all that I have shot, and the couple I own, have been reliable and accurate, butt ugly or not. My WASR is a more accurate shooter than my pretty Global Trades SSR-85C that cost about $200 more.

My SAR has slightly canted sights, but shoots like this at 200 yards with open sights. The lower group was from a rest to confirm zero, the upper from a cross legged sitting field position.
ece2f3d2.jpg

This is the gun
ec4ebf3b.jpg

If your eying up the under folders, I'd suggest you handle one, and better yet, shoot one first. For me, they are not comfortable to shoot with and the ones I have shot had a good bit of wobble and play in them. Once you go the under folder route, your stuck with it, as the receivers are dedicated to it. If you go with a standard stocked rifle, you can swap it out for a wire type side folder, which is a better stock(at least for me). They are easily swapped out and replaced, just remove two screws. They are rock solid, both open and closed, the correct length, and allow access to the controls when closed. They also allow you to use a side mounted optic, the under folders will not. Well, they will, but you have to remove it if you want to fold or unfold the stock. The wire stock gives you pretty much the same cheek weld as the standard stock, and the rifle shoulders and shoots the same.

cheygriz

I agree with AK103 on the underfolders. One of my Norincos is an underfolder, and I rather regret getting it, but at the time I bought it, side folders weren't available.

If I were buying an AK today, and couldn't get a Norinco, I would SERIOUSLY consider the Arsenal USA offerings. Espevially their AK-74.

I have a SAR-2, AK-74, and it's a very good shooter, but after handling an Arsenal USA version of the '74, I just about cried! They are SWEET!:)

mooreshawnm

I agree on you guy's comments about the underfolders....but here's the deal, I can get one for 420$. If I could find a fixed stock Yugo for that price I'd be all over it. I was planing on ordering 2 Romanian fixed stocks, one for me one for my buddy. After seeing them plans changed. He liked the looks of the Saigas so I will sell him my old Norinco sporter copied from a Valmet and use the money to make up the difference in price between a Yugo and Romanian. The Underfolder thing is not by choice but the fact that it is all I can find right now for the low 400s.

BTW I would love an AK-74 it is just that that would add yet another caliber to my collection. As far as the Arsenals, I have looked they look beautiful....but are the same price as an AR. I will be oredering Monday so any comments prior to are more than welcome!

45reloader

AK103K

I'm with you on the SAR's being good.
The first week they came out I got a deal for 2 or them plus 6 30 round mags.
No one was really sure if they would be a "hot" item.

The next 2 gun shows the dealer sold all 175 Sar's he had.
I bet he wished he didn't give me such a deal. :p

I love the side rail mount for mounting a red dot scope.It mounts high enough you can still use the iron sights.
With good ammo I can make head shots at 100 yards all day.

It has the VEPR style reciever and trunion, which is beefier and more robust.

Pics related - My M70 Underfolder. Im quite impressed with the quality and desperately want a fixed stock version.

DSCN1554.jpg

DSCN1552.jpg

DSCN1561.jpg

I had one of the Romys, one of the more recent imports (crappier), and it was a jammy piece of crap with wood and machining so bad any self respecting craftsman would have disassociated themself with it. One of the pins staking the forward sight dealy kept falling right out until I glued it back in just to have it there. Traded it for an SKS and some ammo.

dfaugh

As someone else mentioned, "try before you buy" with an underfolder.

My buddy has a Chinese )pre-ban) underfolder, and while the fit and finish is pretty good, the folding stock is about useless, if you wanna hit anything. I guess its because I'm used to getting a good "cheek weld" which is completely impossible with the wire underforlder stock.

OBIWAN

The romanian guns will do everything the other guns do

My Yugo undefolder is much more substantial than my Romy

I have a Maadi version AKM.

Since getting it, modifying it to make it mine, and tuning and shooting, I love it. Great gun.

This is my first AK, and I really am satisfied with the overall fit and finish, and parts quality. Great field weapon. Satisfactory grouping. What's not to like?

I have heard some good and some bad about Maadi's, but mine seems to be a model that contains the "all good" qualities, because I have yet to experience any bad.

I will say that the gas ports seem to get a lot dirtier on the Maadi than on other gas-operated guns I have fired. (non-AK design)

mooreshawnm

After listening to advice of both this forum, and more importantly my wife, I decided to go fixed stock. Wife thinks the folders are ugly....I don't but fuctionally fixed stock is probably the way to go. So got the old credit card out and looked and looked and could find no fixed stock Yugos for sale! I ended up buying one on gun broker for 465. Oh well, on a brighter note took the wife out this afternoon for the first time to shoot the AR and MAK 90 at a real range. Had a blast!