Question, Possibly a Stupid one, re: Remington R223R1 ammo

rantingredneck

The 55 grain pointed soft point Remington Express ammo.......

.....is it a Corelokt bullet or not?

I see folks referring to it as a Corelokt, but the box and Remington's website simply say PSP (Pointed Soft Point). Other calibers of Express ammo specify that they use a Corelokt PSP bullet. See chart here.

What I'm basically trying to figure out is whether this is a bullet that is controlled expansion or is it a varmint grenade?

If you have any real world experience with it (particulary on deer sized game) I'd like to hear that as well.

hardhit

The Corelokt bullet is a hunting orientated bullet designed to hold together on impact. Remington make it in 223 cal.

223 Remington R223R1 55 PSP PSP

223 Remington R223R2 55 Power-Lokt, HP HP

223 Remington R223R3 55 MC MC

rantingredneck

Yes, I am familiar with the Corelokt bullet design. I've used it for years in .30-06 and .243 Win. I am not, however, convinced that the

223 Remington R223R1 55 PSP PSP

is actually a Corelokt bullet based on the box markings and Remington's website.

I'm looking for confirmation that it is a true Corelokt bonded core bullet.

T. O'Heir

A 55 grain PSP is a varmint bullet. Rapid expansion upon impact making a big hole. It doesn't need to penetrate.

rantingredneck

A 55 grain PSP is a varmint bullet. Rapid expansion upon impact making a big hole. It doesn't need to penetrate.

Yes, I am well aware that varmint bullets are meant for rapid expansion.

The question is, is this particular bullet an actual corelokt bullet design (as I've heard repeated on this forum and others) or is it simply what it says it is on the box (a standard 55 gr. PSP). I'm fairly convinced it's the latter......

I think that part of my question is cleared up now.

The second part. In actual use, has anyone taken deer sized game with this bullet and what was your experience with it? Pass/Fail?

heartbeat

my box says "Remington® Express Core-Lokt Ammo" it is .223/55g psp . im not a fan of small cal. for deer, but when my 55 pound, 9 year old daughter decided she wanted to go hunting, i borrowed an H&R single shot in .223. she has been shooting a .22 rifle for a while, but i had her shoot this one when we got to camp. we finally had a large, mature 8pt come into range (i decided no more than 35 yds). she hit him just behind the shoulder @ 35. he ran 17 yards and crumpled. although it did massive internal damage, it left a tiny (.22 cal) entry hole, and didnt make it to the off-side ribcage. even where he fell was absolutely no blood. thankfully it was a perfect shot, taking out liver and 1 lung (visibly). i could not find the bullet (but didnt really look hard). after getting home and skinning him, the bruising was as far back as the flank area, and continued under the shoulder and into the neck. if i were to use this myself, i would shoot it in the neck. this is a fast (6 shot chrono 2990-3044 fps), accurate round with light recoil and would let my daughter use it again. just be carefull in thick brush because of deflection and lack of a blood trail. i realize this post is almost a year old, but very current and relevant info.

Jimro

rantingredneck,

core-lokt bullets aren't bonded unless you buy the "Ultra Bonded" version.

The regular core-lokt bullets just have the inner jacket shoulder to keep the rear of the lead in place.

Jimro

rantingredneck

Jimro,

Thanks for that, and yes I agree. I incorrectly used "bonded" more generally to describe bullets designed to stay together, though as you indicated, not technically correct.

Heartbeat,

Thanks for your input. Yes the post is a year old but to date I still haven't had the actual question answered.

Is this bullet an actual Corelokt design bullet, with the inner jacket shoulder to keep it together, or is it just a standard PSP bullet that will frag badly on impact. Reading your post it seems as if it doesn't stand a good chance of reaching the offside of the deer regardless of the design.

Are you certain your box says "Corelokt"? I've got several boxes and none of them say that on it. They all just say ".223 Rem 55gr PSP". In other calibers it says ".xxx xxx gr. Corelokt PSP" there.

Thanks,
RR

TheManHimself

According to Remington's web site, they do offer a 62gr Core-Lokt bonded load in .223 Rem. if you're looking to use a .223 factory load for deer, that would probably be a better choice than the plain 55gr PSP.

heartbeat

yes, it says exactly what i quoted above. im not at home to see if its "bonded", but i will look tomorrow when i get home. it for sure says "core-lokt".

MrDrift

Ok, I just bought this ammo thinking it was core-lokt, though it doesn't say so on the box. In my research I did indeed find out it is, per Remington's website:

Caliber:
223 Remington

Index:
R223R1

Model:
Core-Lokt

Weight:

Order #: