question on Varget powder for .308 Win

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
'Bout to do a substantial loading for some 150 Horn SPBT in .308 Win/military brass.

Picked up some H380 - looked to be a good velocity powder & meters like a dream. Loading data is a bit sketchy re my manuals - only one I have even lists it. Checked Hodgdon's site & H380 not even listed for a 150 gr bullet.

But, did see that Varget could push this bullet perhaps another 200 fps faster. Using a 18.5" barrel, I could use all the help I can - would like to get as high velocities as I can. I'll most certainly be doing the 1/2 gr incremental bit, etc. with the prerequistite for accuracy first.

So, how's Varget meter? Can you describe this powder's physical characteristics in relation to H380?

When I finally touch upon a decent load, I'll be whippin' 'em out & don't want anything to do with weighing any charges.

Poodleshooter

I've never used H380, but Varget is a short grain extruded propellant. It meters almost identically to IMR4320 or IMR4895, both of which are fairly "short" cut compared to powders such as 4350 and 4064. I think Varget was really designed to compete with the versatility of IMR4895, so it duplicates it in many ways.

Clint Tickler

I haven't used 380 either but right next to Varget on the burn rate chart is RL-15 and it's all I use anymore in my .308's. Meters great and excellent accuracy. Have not clocked any 150's but a 155 gr a-max with 46 grs is moving at 2800 fps. Shooting groups in the .3's out of my 26" VLS. Max per the Hornady book is 47.2 grs so still maybe can get more speed if I wanted. Have been using it in the .06 as well with very good results. Good luck.

Clint Tickler

Labgrade, Just a little follow up. I checked my data on my 22" 788-.308 and with 46 grs of RL-15 and a 150 gr Sierra SBT I was getting 2630 fps. Kinda forgot I'd used that bullet.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Thanks, Clint. As I'm only getting 2400 fps w/165s, thinkin' I'm not going to get but ~2550+ or so with these 150s.

No access to a chrony neither, so it'll be shoot at 100 & 200 & try to cipher the velocity by the trajectory.

K

KilgorII

44 grains of Varget behind a 165 grain Sierra HPBT in a Winchester case with a CCI LR primer gives 2,624 fps from a 22" barrel. I don't have the OAL I used right here, but could look it up if needed.

Not a barnburner, but a lot better than the 2,400 fps you're seeing.

Varget meters very well. Short and extruded as was described above. Very good .308 powder.

Kilgor

K

KilgorII

Ahh, well you ca go up to 46 gr Varget with a 165 (according to Hodgdon), so maybe you can still pump it up a little.

Kilgor

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
As an FYI ... all set up & started loading the 5X each weight range (still on H380 - have a bunch around) & the min weight I weighed (48.0 grs, I think) filled the case up to almost 1/2 up the neck - not much room for working very much higher. Since I'll eventually crank these out on a 550, H380 ain't gonna fly.

Got some W748 about (& Win does recommend that as their ".308 duplicate") so .... as a plus, you use less and it even fits in the case.

BTW, these are military cases which starts me off at a somewhat "disadvantage" re capacity ....