question on SKS

horatioo

Can someone explain what this means to me? Preferably a link that has pictures. I need basic answers

When I want to conserve ammo [with SKS] and make my shot counts, I just turn off the gas port switch and the SKS becomes a bolt action rifle

Thanks

BurkGlocker

On Yugo SKS's, it has a gas diverter valve for launching grenades, near the end of the gas tube. If it is in the grenade launching position, it will essentially turn the rifle into a single shot weapon as it doesnt circulate the gases...

DMK

The Yugo 59/66 SKS is unique in that it has a valve at the front of the gas tube on top of the barrel. The valve is there to shut off the gas system and prevent the action from cycling when shooting rifle grenades.

I haven't found that closing the valve helps any as far as accuracy in the three Yugos I have, but it won't hurt anything to try.

Only the Yugo 59/66 SKS has this.

(I was slow on the draw. BurkGlocker beat me to it.)

WesM

Best image I could find quickly:

8.jpg

This is a top view looking down on the gun. Barrel is to the top of the image. The top of the gas block has a "button" that you depress and then can move it from a 2 o' clock position (semi-auto) to a 12 o' clock position (single shot). When in the 12 position, you can raise the grenade sights and it cuts off the gas flow through the gas block to the piston. So, no auto shell ejection, no auto chambering of another round, no auto recocking. With the gas valve in 12 o'clock position, it is sort of a manual action rifle.

Hope this helps.

Onward Allusion

Also, not all SKSs have a gas diverter. I don't have them any more, but I don't think my Norincos had them.

horatioo
question on SKS

Can someone explain what this means to me? Preferably a link that has pictures. I need basic answers

Quote:
When I want to conserve ammo [with SKS] and make my shot counts, I just turn off the gas port switch and the SKS becomes a bolt action rifle

Thanks

WesM

^^^ That is correct, only the Yugo 59/66s have them, as they are the only SKSs with the grenade launcher.