Question on Sig Pistols

NCHornet

Well it finally came in the mail today, my long awaited first Sig pistol, a beautiful P232SL. Before I go further let me say I purchased this from a fellow forum member named MarkSteveND. This was my first internet transaction and he made it very easy and the gun is exactly as he described. Now for the questions.
I am use to the slide release/decocker on a Berreta, as well as the slide release on my Glock. When the last round is fired, you can't simply hit the decocker and the slide will close and the hammer fall safetly. This cannot be done on the P232, I must drop the magazine and then pull the slide back and it will go into battery. So the decocker is just that a decocker and not a slide release. Is this the same on all sig pistols? The other thing I am not happy with is the factory night sites. I didn't need or particulary want night sites but having them just made the deal better. In day light the dots are very light and difficult to acquire. Haven't tried them at night yet, but during the day time I really had to concentrate on locating the sights. This may sound crazy to some of you but I may switch these with another night site in a color or to a regular site. I know this is not a target pistol for 500 round range sessions, but it isn't a negative to shoot either. Actually I found the gun to be very accurate. One of the benefits of being able to shoot right out your back door is you can try a gun out as soon as you get it. Just a few mags of informal plinking allowed me to hit a pop can at about 25 ft with every shot. Follow up shots are a little slow due to poor site visibility. If all Sig Pistols function this way with the decocker not acting as a slide release this may be my last Glock. So let's here it from some of you Sig gurus.
Thanks
Kevin

Baphomet

On Sigs, the decocker is just that, a decocker. That's all it does.

Some Sigs (most, I think) have a separate slide-release lever, but the 230/232 is not one of them.

Free Bonus Pic: Going from left to right, we have the takedown lever, the decocker and the slide-release lever (or slide-catch, if you prefer).

AK103K

On the P230/232 you need to slingshot the slide to load it. It wont drop the slide if there is an empty mag in the gun, as you discovered. The decocker simply decocks the pistol after its loaded. All of my other SIG's have a slide stop/release.

I'm not sure what night sights SIG has on the P232. I have P230's which dont have night sights, so i cant help you there. All of my other centerfire SIG's do have night sights, and I dont have any troubles with them day or night. I have replaced early Trijicons on a couple with Meprolights, which I also believe SIG now uses as the factory night sights. They are much better, and have a nice white ring around the vial making them stand out better in the day time. At night you see three bright green dots.

NCHornet

AK,
That's exactly what they are using. The problem is the P232 is the SS version so there is little contrast from the white outer ring to the SS sight. If it were a blued version it wouldn't be an issue. I think I will check into a set of Meprolights because they have the bright colors that will stand out in the day time. I have been carrying the gun this morning in my jacket inside pocket and it is very comfortable. Glad I didn't order a rear pocket holder because it is to big for a rear pocket, but I will order one for the front pocket as it fits just fine there. I will also order a pancake holster for it as well.
Thanks Y'all

HorseSoldier

Like AK103K said, the 230/232 operating system is somewhat different from the other Sigs, with no slide release and only the decocker. I think they're quite nice as pistols go, though they take some getting used to if you are accustomed to pistols patterned more on the 1911/HP-35 sort of layout.

Jim Watson

Some model paint and a very fine brush will take care of the sight visibility.
I have one gun with the blade painted orange (actually Model Master Fluorescent Red, which has an orange cast) around the tritium lamp.

AK103K

Hey Hornet,

Have you considered painting the stainless sight, around the dot, black? It would give you the contrast with little aggravation. Its been awhile since I've seen a P230/232 with night sights, I dont remember the front sight being dovetailed. I know my standard sighted, blued P230's arent. I take it the gun will have to go back to SIG for a change, eh?

ETA: beat me to it Jim. :)

Gixerman1000

Like others have said, the P230 & P232 doesn’t have a separate slide release like the other Sig’s do, and the de-cocker is only a de-cocker.

There are a few pistols that have a duel function de-cocking / slide release lever though, the Walther P5’s, the full size version of the Walther P88 and the HK P9S, the P9S’s de-cocking / slide release lever is also a re-cocker, pretty cool.

I have two Sigs with factory night sights and I'm not impressed with them either, I'm thinking about changing them to Meprolites, I have Meprolites on a few Sig's and some of my other pistols and like them much better than any other night sight I have used.

NCHornet

My neighbor has a FFL so it came to him, that is how it came in the mail. I have always done FTF transactions and was a little leary of it, but I am thrilled with the deal I got.

As for the sights, I may try the model paint Idea, in the Meprolights I was going to do orange rear and green front so I may try this with some model paint. I can always take it off. Here is a pic of the sights, you can see there is little to no contrast.

myp232.jpg

cmsgt5

SS Slide baked and blackened

I have had a SS Sig P232 with night sights for several years. Front sight was difficult to pick up, so I sent the slide to Robar of Phoenix for the slide to be baked black. New trigicon front site had to be installed. It is now the nicest looking SS P232 I have seen (with the finger groove Hogue grips). I kept the frame SS. The baking cost about $85 and it turned out excellent. The sights are picked up quickly now.