Question on Ruger #1 - Scope?

Drue

It depends on the scope, in particular the eye relief and the rear bell diameter. If it is a big scope set pretty far back, the space for your hand with the round in it is restricted by the scope.

I have a scout scope on my .45-70 and it is forward and out of the way. 2.5x seems appropriate for a .45-70.

Drue

C. D. Beaver

My Ruger No. 1-V is equipped with a Leupold VX-II 6-18x40 scope. The ocular lens extends rearward almost to the front of the safety and could very well interfere with rapid reloading. However, I've only shot it from the bench thus far and it has as yet posed no problem.

Pro Patria

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Fast Reload sounds like a hunting application. Seems to me you thus need to assess the size and eye-relief of whatever scope you select. The height of the mounts will affect the reloading-space as well, but you don't want to lose cheek-weld.

After that, it's "Practice, practice, practice."

:), Art

Gewehr98

Ruger #1S in .45-70, Swift 1.5-4.5x, plenty of room!

feb16_07.jpg

PJR

I hunted for years with a #1A and the scope, a Leupold Vari-XIII 1x-5x did not interfere with reloading in the least. The only scope issue was the requirement for longer eye relief because the scope sits further forward.

Reloading a #1 ideally isn't something you do often or under pressure. That's the discipline of a single shot. However, it can be done with practice. If a bolt action shooter was critical about a single shot, I would make a friendly wager that I could fire three rounds as quickly as he could manage four. I rarely lost the bet.

Paul

Paul B.

Brasso. You can't do a fast reload with a #1 from the shoulder. It's also a bitch from the sit unless you have one of those shellholder that fit around the butt. Al Miller wrote an article on "Speedloading the Single Shot Rifle", I believe it was called in Rifle Magazine. Anyway, he said as the rifle recoils, pull the lever down, remove the rifle from your shoulder, holding the rifle with the right hand, bring the thumb of the left hand over the breech, covering it, while the left hand takes over holding the rifle. Take a cartridge from the holder, (using your pocket is a no no.) with the right hand holding it between the thumb and forefinger. ( You can use those plastic holders that come with Federal ammo or one of those elastic shell holders that fit on the stock. Leave an empty space betweem each round to make it easier to grasp the next round. I think the elastic models work best if you're shooting from the sitting position.) Do not look at the breech. Keep looking at your game. Your right hand holding the shell will automatically find the thumb covering the breech. As the thumb feels the nose of the round start to make contact, move it out of the way and drop the round into the chamber. That's right drop it. If it is a new factory round, or a properly full length resized handload, the round should just drop right on into the chamber. (Neck sizing doesn't go here. Too much chance of the round not fully chambering.) Close the breech, bring the rifle to your shoulder, aim and fire the shot. It's a lot easier than it sounds. If I could personally demonstrate it, you'd see what I mean. Five minutes slow practice and you'll have the motions down pat. Five more minutes and you'll be doing it like a pro. FWIW, it's not too hard to stay up with the average bolt action shooter taking "AIMED" shots. Of course, a seasoned target shooter used to shooting rapid fire is something else, but that doesn't count.
I've been shooting, collecting and hunting with Ruger #1 rifles since 1975, mostly from the bench, but starting about a month from whatever big game season I've drawn tags for, I start the rapid reloading practice, both at home with dummy rounds and at the range with live ammo the last two weeks prior to the season.
BTW. This stuff that Tom Selleck did in Quigley Down Under with the shells between his fingers will work in the short run, but try holding any rifle you have now with two or three rounds tucked between the fingers of the left hand while hanging on to the forearm and see just how long it takes for your fingers to protest loudly. There ain't much padding there folks. It's also a slower method of reloading the rifle.
The methods described will also work with the Browning single shots.
Paul B.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've seen some shotgunners hold two 12-gauge shells protruding from between fingers of the left hand. Reloading a double-gun is just really quick. Same for African double-rifles. Granted that on the #1 you gotta work out your own monkey-motion, and clear the scope...

:), Art