Question on Project Gun - GP100 Blued

Micahweeks

I just bought a used, 4" blued GP100 this week that I'm going to make another "project" gun. I already have two others, but I'm wanting to take this one and try to make it into my idea of an ideal carry revolver (well, to my tastes anyway). I know all the changes I'll be making, and none are too drastic. But, I do want to refinish it since the current finish is very worn looking. I'll be sending it off for that since I've never done much with finishes and want to make sure it is done properly. What types of finishes would you guys recommend?

I already had a law enforcement buddy recommend hard chrome, so that's on the table. If that's your suggestion, how does it hold up to a lot of shooting? If you have another suggestion, let me know how well it stands up to a lot of shooting. I plan on really working a lot with this gun once I have it finished.

Slopemeno

Hard chrome is about as strong a finish as there is. Make sure you've done every mod you want to do first, finish it last.

Micahweeks

Being a GP fan, what else were you going to do to it?

Well, I'm basically going to turn it into a Match Champion/Wiley Clapp hybrid. Nothing too drastic! I like how the Match Champion has the Novak cuts for sights (not sure if I can get a Novak rear cut, but if not I'll use the BCA sights), so that, the cylinder contour, and the slab side barrel job are probably the most drastic changes. I want to keep the full underlug. I'm going to try and get the Brazilian Rosewood grips that Gemini Customs makes, and I'll get fully adjustable Novak rear sights with a front night sight (which kind, I don't know, yet). I also want to bob the hammer and go DAO. I'll probably also get a target crown. No moon clip conversion, though, since I really don't like them for carry.

My local gunsmith says he can do all of the machining work for about $240 but that I'd have to get the gun refinished. All he offers is the paint finishes, and he told me they aren't great for revolvers. So, once I have my full underlug, target crowned, dehorned, novak cut, DAO, slab sided GP100 (that's not too drastic, right?), I want it to stand up to a lot of carry time. So, that's why I'm wondering what finishes I should look at.

EDIT: Oh, and no porting. Finally shot a ported revolver, and I just assume keep my velocity. I don't have a problem with .357 recoil, so I just don't feel that much of a benefit.

Last edited:

Sevens

If ya wanna bag on porting, yell out things like increased blast, increased flash, increased NOISE. But losing velocity?! Put the same exact revolver with the same exact loads through the same exact chrono out in an environment that is absolutely as close to the same as you can get it before you start worrying about loss of bullet velocity.

Porting, done properly, works wonders and it's doing hardly anything to bullet velocity.

Micahweeks

If ya wanna bag on porting, yell out things like increased blast, increased flash, increased NOISE. But losing velocity?! Put the same exact revolver with the same exact loads through the same exact chrono out in an environment that is absolutely as close to the same as you can get it before you start worrying about loss of bullet velocity.

Porting, done properly, works wonders and it's doing hardly anything to bullet velocity.

Regardless, I have no trouble controlling my .357s and see no benefit in it. I won't be doing it to this gun.

WESHOOT2

spent the money

I've had a number of handguns 'finished', and my current (for some time now) favorite comes only from Robar Industries.

It's called "NP3".

Its base is electroless nickel, which is hard (but not as 'hard' as hardchrome), slippery ("lubricity"), and offers better rust resistance than hardchrome.
Its makeup includes distributed particles of Teflon, which further enchance slipperiness, and reduce/eliminate the need for additional lubrication (wear dry compete/practice wet).

I've enjoyed this finish on one of my custom (and 50K rd-ct minimum) 1911s since the late '90's.

I recommend two places for finishing (and superior custom gunsmithing):

-Accurate Plating & Weaponry www.apwcogan.com

-Robar www.robarguns.com

WESHOOT2

ps

Please remember to fully complete all customization before finishing; I mean, that's why it's called a 'finish' :D

WC145

I like hard chrome, have had it on several handguns, recently had Mahovsky's hard chrome a revolver build for me. It's incredibly tough, lasts forever, and looks good, it'll look like whatever the metal is underneath - matte looks matte, polished looks polished, etc

I'm having a 1911 built now that is going to be finished with Ion Bond. It's supposed to be harder than hard chrome, also takes on the appearance of the surface it is applied to, and can be had in a few different colors, though I'm going with basic black. I'm looking forward to seeing how it holds up.

I've had revolvers parkerized also but it is not as tough as these others. However, as long as you keep your gun oiled it protects it from the elements well.

Hammerhead

I'm glad you're not going to port it. No need for that with a GP.
I would look at that NP3 real close. It's been around for a long time (proven) and it's a little more subdued than chrome.

Bill DeShivs

We are shipping one of my custom knives off to be Ion-Bonded today. I may have a gun done soon, just to play with the finish. The DLC coating can be done in black, silver, and gold. As stated, it looks like the metal finish before coating-shiny=shiny, etc.

Micahweeks

What exactly is Ion-Bond? Is there a stock handgun out there that uses it I could compare it to? I've heard of it a few times, but I can't say I've ever seen a live example of one, or at least if I did I didn't know that it was what I was looking at.

EDIT: Wait... is IonBond the same as Nighthawk Custom's Diamond Black finish? If so, then I have seen an example. Does anyone know?