Question on 'old model' Rugers

critter44

I understand that Ruger used to make a "Security Six", a "Service Six" and (maybe even) a "Speed Six". I also understand that they were precursors of the current "GP 100" type Rugers. Were the older Ruger editions different in construction from each other or were they just the same gun but outfitted differently (such as different sights (maybe some adjustable), barrel underlugs or some other such minor differences)?

How is (was) the quality, fit, finish, durability, etc. of those older types and are they still available (perhaps at gun shows)? Are they in the 'collectable' or just 'good shooter' category?

Thanks.

Jim Watson

All the Ruger "sixes" are the same basic action, about the same size as a S&W K frame.
Security Six - Square butt, adjustable sights, 2.75", 4", 6" barrels.
Service Six - Square butt, fixed sights, mostly 4", maybe 2.75".
Speed Six - Round butt, fixed sights, most 2.75", some 4"
Blue and stainless.
Mostly .357, some .38 Special only.
Some Speed Six 9mm clip guns, hotly sought after now.

Fit and finish typical Ruger. Very, very durable.
Many made, no collector value except for unusual variants, maybe a NIB 9mm or a .38 S&W that didn't make it to India.

I'd rather have one than any GP or SP.

critter44

Thanks for the info. I have a Security Six 'on loan' from a friend. It is a super shooter, good tight lockup and a very nice trigger. It is a bit lighter and 'livlier' than my GP 100 (both are 4").

The SS has been back to Ruger. Friend thought it was too loud, even for a .357. Upon inspection, it was found that part of the forcing cone had departed for parts unknown. Ruger rebarreled it and I don't know if they did other work or not.

Finish is super good-only wear showing is on the rear sight block corners.

Seems like a good gun. Thanks again for the info.

Jim March

Large amounts of hot 125 357 JHPs can eat at their forcing cones, same as a K-frame.

Not a major problem for most. The GP100 is tougher, but bigger.